the grand final

first of all thank you guys so much for 10.5k!! that's insane!

warning: intense fucking fluff ahead. also football fans will probably get triggered by this don't say I didn't warn you.

---

Through the thin walls that separate our apartments I can hear my neighbour screaming. 

No words, no coherent message he's trying to get across. Just him ripping his vocal chords to shreds. I'd be worried if he hadn't already been doing that all afternoon. 

Now I'm just annoyed. 

I flip the page of my book angrily, trying to block out the sound of his shouts. 

About a half hour ago one particular scream was enough for me to dash onto my balcony and peer through his window, only to see him staring at his TV so avidly he looked like he could combust at any moment from the sheer force. On his screen was a football game, and on his table there were about six empty bags of chips thrown and empty beer cans all over his floor. 

Half an hour ago I found it amusing how forcefully concentrated on the game he was, but with every scream he utters, the thinner my patience wears. Now even the closed windows and balcony door won't stem the sheer force of his yells. 

I throw the book onto the floor and stand up. My wonderfully peaceful afternoon I had planned has been destroyed by a fucking football game. Great.

The fridge door slams into the wall when I throw it open, leaving a mark on the wall, and even though I said I wasn't going to, I grab a can of beer and plunk back down on the couch, kicking my feet up. 

He screams again. I don't even know his name, really I should be more concerned. I know he's just watching a game but if he's this into it he may have some problems or something. I mean why isn't he more self conscious about the amount of noise he's making? Is sport really that big of a deal?

Apparently it must be because the next scream is so loud I physically wince. But the silence that follows the scream is even louder. He stops yelling at his TV, he stops tearing his vocal chords. The game must be over. 

"Goddamn." I mutter to myself, chuckling with relief that the noise is finally over. 

Next door I can hear him stomping around almost as loudly. His front door opens and swiftly slams shut and he stomps down the hallway briefly. 

And knocks at my door.

I slam my beer down, pissed off with his antics, and throw the door open. 

He seems surprised by my haste. "Oh, hi."

"Hi." I say shortly, waiting for him to say what he wants and leave. 

"Sorry to bother you. You may not know but there's a game on right now and my TV just broke halfway through it. I was wondering if I could watch it on yours? I wouldn't ask if it wasn't an emergency and obviously I totally understand if you don't want me to intrude but this is the final game of the season and my team made it and there's only like a half hour left to go so this is the most crucial moment also our team is currently tied two all with fucking Man United so I absolutely cannot abide for them to win and if they're going to I need to see it and I would go to a sports bar but then there'll probably be some sort of fight between the two team's supporters so I don't want to be there to see that. I hope you understand but, like I said, I totally get it if you aren't cool with this and-"

"Okay you can come in just shut the fuck up please." I say, laughing a little at his enthusiasm. 

"Thank you so much you're a legend." He grins as I usher him in and lock the door.