Chapter 1

My alarm beeped, alerting me that it was time to get up. After wiping the sleep out of my eyes and stretching, I padded over to my window. The curtains pulled away easy, letting the sunlight creep into my room and warm the soft carpet.

Today was my first day of college, and boy was I super nervous. More nervous than I have ever been. Not even my first day at high school was I this nervous. Taking a deep breath, I looked out the window. That seemed to help steady my nerves.

The smell of bacon filled the air. Mom must be downstairs cooking breakfast. This was a big deal for her, her only child going off into the world to make a name for herself. Ever since my dad died, she's always tried to be the strong one. Sacrificing everything and working long hours to make sure I was taken care of. Not to mention, my mom is my best friend. I tell her everything. Thinking of her, I made my way down the stairs to the kitchen.

Mom was lost in thought, reading a magazine. As she grabbed her coffee cup, her eyes looked up to meet with mine.

"Oh, Aubree! You're up!" She set the cup down and made her way over to me. Her arms wrapped around me in a big hug. "How are you feeling?"

I grabbed a plate and started to load some eggs, bacon and toast onto it. "You really wanna know?" I said.

Mom nodded, holding her mug in her hands.

"Nervous, excited, in disbelief" After sitting down at the table, I take a bite of my eggs.

"Oh, honey! There's nothing to be nervous about. You are gonna do great. Before you know it, you'll be comfortable as a college student" Mom takes her plate to the sink and pours herself another coffee.

"I hope you're right, Mom."

"I know I am. Once you're a mom yourself, you'll understand." She gives me a kiss on top of my head.

After finishing my breakfast and some more talk with mom, I head upstairs to take a shower and get ready to head off. I decide to wear my blue floral dress with some flip flops and a cardigan. I somehow manage to get my messy blonde hair into a cute low bun. After applying some eyeliner and checking myself in the mirror, I grab my stuff and head out the door.

Western Ridge University isn't too far away from home, maybe about 20-30 minutes depending on how long traffic is. Entering the gate, I find a parking spot closest to the main building. The campus is massive. There are so many buildings it's easy to see why some people can get lost here. I manage to find my first class easy, considering it is right in the main building.

I walk into a big classroom where a student is already sitting. She's got bright orange hair; it almost looks like her hair is on fire. A pair of ear buds are stuck in her ears and she seems to be lost in whatever she is listening to. I also notice her shirt, a simple black tee with two words in white: The Man. I honestly crack a smile at that. This girl is a trip already.

I pick a seat next to her. She looks up from her daydream and turns the song off. Taking her ear buds off, she greets me with a bright white smile. "Hi there, what's your name?" I detect an Irish accent when she speaks to me.

"I'm Aubree Smith, I'm a freshman." I pull out a notebook and a pen out of my bag.

"Nice name, I'm Rebecca Quin. Most people call me Becky or Becks." She sticks her hand out which I give a shake. "What is your major?"

"I'm studying literature. I'm hoping to write a great American novel, or something along the lines of great."

She takes off her black beanie, which says Burn It Down, and combs her hair with her fingers. "Nice, I'm mostly studying philosophy but I'm not sure if I'm gonna continue after this semester."