Chapter 4

The rest of the week goes by in a blur. Between classes and homework, I barely have time to catch up with Becky and Colby. I finally get some free time to meet up with them at the campus coffee house, Crafted.

I walk up to the counter and order a vanilla latte. I look around the cafe as the barista makes my drink. It is very warm and inviting, low lighting and wooden tables littered everywhere. By the door is a couch and a small electric fireplace. I make a mental note to come here more often, particularly to help with my writing. I've been feeling blocked lately on the story I am working on.

I hear the door open. In comes Becks and Colby, looking so happy and in love. Both are dressed in workout gear, they probably just came from the wrestling gym. She automatically sees me and gives me a big hug.

"Sorry, lass, if I get sweat all over you." She apologizes.

"Perfectly fine. How's it going, Colby?" I give him a hug as well.

"Not too bad, this one kicked my ass today!" He points to Becky, who scoffs at his remark.

"Not my fault you can't keep up with me." She makes her way over to the counter. He sticks his tongue out at her when her back is turned, making me giggle. She places an order for an espresso shot for Colby and tea for her.

After we get settled on the couch, I take a sip of my latte. I start to feel warm as it enters my body, it kinda feels like a blanket. Becks takes off her workout jacket and proceeds to tell me how the week went for her. Colby also tells me what has been happening with him since I saw him last.

Becks tastes some of her tea and proceeds to ask me a question. She seems hesitant to say anything at first. "Have you seen Fergal at all since the party?"

There goes that pang in my stomach everytime he is mentioned. It's kind of getting annoying at this point.

"Nope, why?" I ask.

"I don't know, just figured you would have seen him since then." She takes a lock of her hair and twirls it.

"Nope, not at all."

"Well, that's good. Trust me when I tell you, you're better off not getting too close to him." Colby downs his espresso in one gulp.

Now I start to get curious. Becky warned me in a weird way when I first met her and now it seems Colby feels the same way about Fergal.
I tap my fingers on my coffee cup as I try to find the words I want to say.

"He seemed really nice when I met him. I don't think he's as bad as you guys make him out to be."

Becks gives me a look that says I have no idea what I'm talking about.

"Aubs, he has a dark side to him. It doesn't come out often, but when it does... " Colby trails off.

"He can hurt someone or himself." Becky finishes for him.

"I know you guys are looking out for me, but you have nothing to worry about. We just talked for a little bit. We haven't seen each other or talked since then." Another sip of my latte warms me up again.

We finish our drinks and say our goodbyes. I promise them both that I will make a stop down to the gym tomorrow after classes. They were preparing for a show and wanted me to come during their training session. How could I say no?

I make the drive back home. My mom's car is parked in our driveway. I haven't gotten to talk to her that much since my first day. A smile crept up my face as I opened the front door of our house.

I place my keys on the table by the door and drop my bag on the floor. "Mom, are you home?"

"In the kitchen, hun!" I start to smell dinner as I make my way over.

Mom is plating our dishes. Looks like she made chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans. I grab a plate from her and sit down at the table.

"How was school?" She asks. "I know we haven't gotten to talk much but I am excited to hear all about it. "

"It's been great so far! All my classes have been easy and my teachers are pretty cool." I take a bite of my food.

She sips her wine before she talks again. "That's great, baby! I'm guessing you made some friends as well?"

"Yeah, a girl named Becky and her boyfriend Colby. They've taken me under their wing and have been helping me around campus."

"See, you had nothing to be nervous about! I told you everything would be okay."

I smile at her. Before I can say anything else, my mom's phone rings. She gets up from the table and answers it. When she returns, I can tell she won't be staying long.

"That was the office. There's a big project going on and they need me to help. I have to go over." She looks apologetic as she says it.

"It's fine, I get it. Go help them out." I'm not gonna lie, I'm upset. I was really looking forward to spending time with my mom. Lately, it seems she chooses work over me but I know she does it for me. It's how she helps pay for college. She places a quick kiss on top of my head before leaving.

I clean the kitchen and decide to settle in for the night. I had just gotten a new book and was looking forward to getting a head start on it. I change into my pajamas, grab my phone and book, and lay down on the couch.

Time seems to pass as I'm reading. After what feels like an hour, I hear a knock on my door. I unwrap myself from the blanket and pad towards the noise. When I open the door, my eyes widen in surprise at who is standing there.

"May I come in?" It was Fergal.