Chapter One

Rain never comes at a good time.

Rain was gloomy and it carried a weight with it that rested upon Fin's shoulders. He opened the doors to his old family home, almost not recognizing the beautiful molding and marble floors. Home sweet home.

It was bittersweet, all the memories that the house carried was now only shared by him, it was world crushing.

Fin slipped the house key back into his pocket before turning around and facing his seven year old little brother. He scooped the boy into his arms and kept him there as they crept into the house. His brother, Archer, was definitely way past the holding stage and a little too heavy for it, and never liked to be fondled over. This time was different though, letting Fin hold him tight as they made their way inside.

Archer had still been living in the house when the accident happened, but Fin had already moved out and had amazing roommates across the states in California, and now was back to the very lavish farm house their parents had built their lives around, in a small little nothing nowhere town in Upstate New York. He was out of school, wasn't in college and was now in need to search for a job to support his only blood relative.

"How about some dinner?" Fin asked and his brother nodded against his neck, never making a move to separate himself from his big brother.

Fin kicked the big oak door closed, locking the boys in to their now untenanted home, now theirs to do with what they will.

He sat the boy down and saw unshed tears in his eyes. He cupped the small boys face with his hand and gave him a reassuring smile. "If you run upstairs, change and wash up then I'll let you help me put everything together. How's that sound, buddy?" Archer nodded with a small smile, untangling himself from Fin and ran upstairs to get cleaned up.

Fin rested his arms against the small island separating the kitchen and open living space. What a day. Fin wasn't in good spirits to keep himself afloat after their parents burial and he was ready to let himself slip and grab something to help the pain go away.

Fin couldn't help the choked laugh from escaping his throat. His father, alcohol? The thought was utterly absurd!

Thunder crackled in the sky and Fin jumped from his stunned confusion before groaning and settling back down. Rain always knew how to make its way to scaring the crap out of him and making his heart flutter against his chest savagely.

Fin scanned the drawers and pantry, everything almost exactly how he remembered it. Everything was still full which made Fin sigh in relief that he would not have to leave the house for at least a week until needing to grab necessities. He grabbed what he needed for the small dinner between his brother and him.

Archer scrambled into the kitchen as he tucked his shirt on, ready to be back next to Fin's side. Archer was on the smaller side for seven, making him look between five and six years old. His brown hair in a modern bowl cut that made his puffy cheeks stick out from under the messy curls tousled on his head. Both the boys had the same haircut and it made Fin content that they still had this bond, and that his younger brother still wanted to be like him.

They cut veggies together, Archer using a plastic butter knife with supervision from Fin constantly, and soon their stew was coming together. Comfort food was Fin's specialty.

"Is my room still the way I left it?" Fin asked his brother and he nodded eagerly in reply, poking at Fin's. Fin wanted to apologize about being a jerk about it, but desired to ruffle up his hair instead, giving him a weak smile.

"Guess you weren't allowed in there, huh?" Archer replied again with a simple nod of his head and Fin sighed for what had to have been the hundredth time that day. He regretted giving his parents so much grief about his little brother being in his room and wished he didn't pay it any mind when he went away.