Chapter Two

"Thank you, have a nice day!"

Mark smiled genuinely to the old man that waddled his way back to his pick up, probably the tenth black one he'd seen that day.

Mark sighed and sat back down in his chair, behind the rows of strawberries that were on display for the customer who came up to the stand. It's farming country, and everyone in their pick ups would be out today to buy some of Martha's Prized Pickin Strawberries!

Being the next alpha in line had its perk, but he was also like every other senior in his class, trying to work to save money. Although Mark didn't need to save his for college, because he would be taking his rightful place after finding his soul mate, he still wanted to be a help to his mother.

She had a small stand off the side of the road, diagonally places to their house. The best place to put it, everyone knew everyone in the village of Marbura and that meant it would be logical to set it up at home base.

"Hey sweetie, how's it selling?" Martha asked as she came up behind her son into the stand, motioning him to continue sitting.

"It's good, Ma. Already sold," Mark paused to look at his watch, "30 lbs so far and it's only quarter to ten." Each quart of strawberries held two pounds, so fifteen so far and they had only been open since eight a.m? Fantastic!

"That's good, how many of them were day old?" Martha was a smart business woman, and she sold her day old picked berries at a discounted price, and that usually made them fly like hot cakes - or like some delicious strawberries!

Martha grabbed another fold up chair from under the table with the register and set it up besides Mark, waiting for his response. "About six quarts maybe?"

"Okay about half, not bad. You want to go inside and get yourself something to drink, it's hot out today?"

Mark shook his head in response and turned back to the book he was reading and they fell into a soothing silence. Mark was reading an old book from his fathers office about mates, one he had already read over, he had read all of the mating books his father had.

Not knowing his mate yet was frustrating, he only had a month left before graduation day, he'd walk across the stage and finally be done with the day in and day out classes. Mark would only have a few more months before becoming alpha to his pack, the people he went to school with and the people he had help raise him. It was very intimidating!

Not to mention a mate mean't everything! A mate would follow a wolf to the ends of the earth, a wolf and their mate would defend each other to the death, and help heal their other half until they are one whole piece that fits together like a puzzle made for one another. Mark wanted that.

He held off from dating his whole life just to find his person. He wanted that person made for him. Everything he dreamt of was a beautiful person to come home with, to cook up what he had just hunted and was willing to get down and dirty with him all the time.

Waiting wasn't helping any of his teenage hormones from persuading his judgment, and he almost cracked a few times to let loose, but he instantly scolded himself and told himself not to, that his mate would be destroyed if he had not waited.

Deep down he just hoped it would be another wolf he could snuggle up to in wolf form, his favorite form.

"Yeah, Ma, I'll head in and get something to drink, do you know what Dad's up to? I have to talk to him about something."

"I think he's in the back yard, probably trying to fix the hole in the fence."

"Okay, thanks."