Chapter Five

I know I said I wouldn't update until tonight but I've pulled an all-nighter and decided to edit after a small break. I hope you all enjoy the chapter! Constructive criticism is always welcome! Enjoy!

It had already been too long. Too dang long since his Uncle Jacob was in their home and Mark wanted him out.

It had only been a week and a half but Mark was starting to see why his aunt might have wanted a break. He didn't put the cap back on the toothpaste, he used all the hot shower water almost every day, and he never picked up his dirty clothes when they landed right near the hamper.

Mark was reminded of the last fact when his foot caught onto a shirt by the hamper and he slipped, landing on his ass against the hardwood. Mark grumbled and had to summon all the strength not to tear the shirt into shreds.

He picked himself up and continued to fumble through getting ready. Today was too important to get stuck up on being pissed with his uncle, and he was running out of time. Today his mate would meet with his parents. Although they didn't know it was his mate... Or that he found his mate... Or that he was stopping by...

Too many details! Not enough time!

Mark finished his morning routine and headed down the stairs to the wafting and enveloping smell of his mother's cooking. His socks slid across the hard wood and Mark skidded his way to the counter, gaping over his mothers shoulder - pancakes with fresh strawberries!

Strawberries never lost their appeal to mark and he was practically salivating at the delicious brunch food his mother was putting together. It was like working at his favorite restaurant, the food their would never loose their appeal just as strawberries would never loose the adoration from Mark.

He backed off when his mother shoved his drooling mouth away from the already plated pancakes. "Don't touch them, set the table!" Martha laughed as she continued to fry the bacon and sausage to go with their meal.

"I just wanted a small bite," Mark shrugged off for a second as he started to place the plates on the table in their respected spots. "So mom, how would you feel about having a guest over for brunch?"

"You know I don't care, you can have friends over, I've told you that."

"I know, I know! I just," Mark paused for a second to formulate his thoughts. "It's Griffin Miller."

Martha stopped what she was doing the second she heard his name, the instant look of sorrow overcast her usually chipper exterior.

The look past almost as soon as it came and she continued to flip the pancakes before going back to her other pan. "Those poor boys, it's still so sad."

"I know.."

"I know I could never imagine loosing you, and for you to loose your mama? I could barely breathe when I lost your grandma.. I can't think about it!" Martha huffed the thought away, taking the thoughts by fretting over her big brunch.

"I don't want you to treat him any differently though, he just wants to come over and thank you for looking after their animals."

"I wouldn't dare, his heart is in a fragile place now. Oh! Don't forget to set out another place holder!"

"I didn't forget," Mark grumbled, looking at the plate he already sat next to his usual seat, and turning back to his mother over their open-concept kitchen. "But seriously, don't freak him out or anything!"

"You hold little faith in me."

The food was pretty much complete and plated away, set displayed in the center of the dining table. Mark's father had already taken his place at the head of the table, now a quarter to noon, by this time flipping through his news paper.