SEVEN

┏━━━━━━༻⚜༺━━━━━━┓

┏━━━━━━༻⚜༺━━━━━━┓

"Why would you do this? You'll die!" Laurence cried out as the initial confusion of seeing his wyvern friend wore off and the realisation of what this meant sank in.

The Wyvern - Ungrth - growled as though he understood what Laurence had said, and winced in pain as the taint slowly spread its way through his body, corrupting him by the second. He thrust his head to the side in a seemingly wild manner, but Laurence knew what he was trying to say.

"Ariel! Get on! We're getting out of here!" He jumped atop Ungrth's back and held out his hand for Ariella. She paused, frozen in shock, before the realisation dawned on her too. She ran to her corner and ripped up that loose floorboard as quickly as she could. There would be no use for care. She wouldn't need to use it again.

Throwing her parents' book into her satchel, she took Laurence's hand and he helped tug her up to a seated position behind him, arms latched around his midriff. The wyvern huffed at the extra weight, making a low growl in the back of his throat. Laurence slouched forward and rubbed Ungrth's neck reassuringly.

"Easy there, she's a friend. Please, you've got to try for us." He cooed softly to his friend. Ungrth responded by raising his winged arms and taking off through the hole that used to be Ariella's wall.

Ariella opened her mouth as if to scream, clutching Laurence's waist even tighter, as she felt gravity pulling her backwards, threatening to kick her off the Wyvern. She couldn't help but think of just how convenient that would have been. If the universe wasn't giving her a crap enough time as it was, it'd just have to make her fall off the back of a Wyvern and watch her friend escape without her.

But it seemed that for once the universe was on her side. There was yelling coming from below them, and Ariella pressed her face into the back of Laurence's shoulder as she felt an arrow wizz past her head and miss her by a fraction of an inch. Catapults were being launched, and the ghasts had been awoken. They were shooting at them; she could hear. The screeching sound of the gas in their throats, ready to be shot at their target and BOOM as it hit the netherack ledge they'd just passed. And screeeeech, and BOOM. And zing - another arrow.

Louder and louder and louder and louder.

And then...

Quiet.

Laurence's form crumpled under her arms and she tightened her grip as the panic increased tenfold. They were falling, that much she could tell. But it seemed as though Ungrth still had some level of control, since the wind wasn't numbing her just yet, merely cutting into her skin uncomfortably. And... wait... the wind.