NINE

┏━━━━━━༻⚜༺━━━━━━┓

┏━━━━━━༻⚜༺━━━━━━┓

Aphmau had marched Ariella back upstairs and, after a short conversation with a different guard she referred to as Garroth, had sat her down at her writing desk. There was an open book on the desk, along with an inkwell and quill.

The Lord had a stern expression on her face. The sort of look that a child who hadn't done their chores would shrink from if their parent-directed it to them. And while Ariella was not a child who'd neglected to clean their room, she still felt wary around the woman. In more of a respectful way, than a fearful way.

"Brian says you don't speak." Aphmau started. "So write. And you'd better answer my questions."

Ariella fought the urge to respond with an: "Or what?". She had to remind herself that this was not a Shadow Knight leader come to interrogate her over a recent escape attempt. This was the Lord of a village, whom Laurence trusted with his heart, who was simply looking out for her people. Ariella nodded firmly, and Aphmau blinked in surprise, almost shocked that the brunette had complied so easily. She then seemed to remember she needed to look intimidating and swiftly put her stern mask back on.

"Who are you?"

Ariella dipped the quill and began to write. Aphmau leant over her shoulder, watching as she did so and reading the words as they formed on the page.

"My name is Ariella Elmere. I'm the one that helped you and Laurence when you were saving the Chicken Shaman."

"You're a Shadow Knight?" Ariella nodded. "Then why? Why help us?"

"Every time the Shadow Lord consumes a person's magicks, he grows more powerful. If you saved the Chicken Shaman, that was one less person to help him grow."

"So you were trying to save him too?"

"No." Aphmau seemed baffled by this answer, so Ariella hurried to scribble an explanation. "I've been held there against my will for a long time. I was trying to escape. I would have left him there if you two hadn't shown up. My morals took over after that."

"I see... And what do you plan on doing now you've escaped?"

"I'm not sure. I just know that I want to stay with Laurence. He has become a dear friend to me. We spoke often of staying together, even in the Overworld. He did express an interest in moving to this village. Although I can understand if you don't wish to have me here, and if he wants to stay here, I will leave."

Aphmau looked confused. "Why would assume I won't accept you here?"

"Well... I am a Shadow Knight. Laurence is different. You already know him. Me? You don't know anything about me. Whatever you decide, I will respect."