Prologue

I can't believe I lost her! I just found her. My mate, my beautiful mate, killed before my eyes! The events flash before my eyes like they were happening all over again, her running at me screaming 'mate' before getting shot in the back. I found her the minute she died, and now I am sitting here on the ground crying into my beautiful mate's hair. I smell a rogue, thanks to my wolf's sense of smell, but at this moment, it doesn't matter; they can kill me, and my beta can take over with his mate.

"Are you my mate" I hear a little girl cry? I turn around in shock

"No, my mates here", I cry out, looking at her. She looks no older than seven.

"Oh", she starts to cry

"I'm sure he will show up; most wolves don't find them until the youngest of the two is sixteen" I smile at her; why is such a little girl a rouge? And looking for her mate?

"I think he's dead", she cries out before following to the ground unconscious; I'm surprised I'm not; most wolves pass out or die if their mate is dead.

'Can anyone hear me? I cry out to my pack. I hear my beta voice

'what's wrong, alpha' he answers me

'I have a little girl unconscious who needs a guest room until she wakes up. I need to take my mate to the morgue,' I cry out. I can hear him breath

'okay,' he whimpers, obviously realising why.

I watch my beta nod my way, not even five minutes later. I watch as he picks the girl up, rushing off. I know it's too late for my mate. Her heart stopped the minute the bullet was fired. Grabbing her lifeless body, I carry her toward the morgue so they can prepare for her funeral. I stroll, not wanting to forget the slight tingles of sparks that are cursing through my body.

'She's awake', my beta speaks into my mind

'Coming,' I groan out, knowing I need to work everything out.

I lay my very dead mate on the metal table and walk into the pack house. The pack house is vast, three stories tall, with a doctor's office, morgue and pool area all coming off the side of the house.

I follow the only scent on rogue to a room not far from mine; swinging it open, I notice she is sitting upright, crying.

"How old are you?" I question, trying to keep my voice as quiet as possible

"Six", she squeaks out

"Why do you think your mate is dead" I look at her sadly, not understanding anything going on right now, my wolf not wanting to process it.

"I felt a sharp pain like what happened to sissy when her mate died. I thought you were my mate because you were sitting there with blood on you," she whimpers. I look down and notice she's right; I'm covered in my mate's blood.

"How about we go check the computer for deaths or even matings" I mutter out

All deaths and matings immediately get recorded onto a system. When we are born, we get little chips in our necks; they can tell when the heart stops, in which case the chip will send out to the database that they are dead, and if by some miracle they come back from the dead, the chip will alert the database as long as it is still in the wolves neck. When you mate with someone, you bite right over the chip, which sends an alert out, the other wolf will then bite over the other wolf, and the system somehow identifies the two, don't ask me how it all works. I could never be bothered learning.

I watch as the little girl nods her head, slowly standing up; she's so tiny. I am an alpha making me 6'5, but she's six, so she isn't anywhere near as tall. Walking to my office was silent people stared at us but minded their own business. I open the database up and click the dead button Helping the young girl onto my knee.

"No deaths on the last day other than my mate" I sadly smile at her. She looks up at me and just gives her best smile to show she is sorry, but I know she knows the other option, if she is right, is a fate worse than death. I click the mating button and only see only one mating; in the past day, a young boy, only sixteen and another girl, who is fifteen. She looks at the computer and gulps.

"I thought mates can't find each other until the youngest is sixteen", she comments. I nod sadly at her as we both realise the pain she felt was her mate marking another. I watch as she holds back her tears.

"I'm sure the moon goddess will give you a second chance, mate, they are rare, but she seems to do it for situations like this" I smile at her and nod. I watch as she cries, which makes me sad for her; while I want to mourn my mate, at least I have met her and know she is in a better place. This little girl knows her mate is alive and is with another she-wolf.

"I'm James, and if you want, you can join my pack, and I can be your step daddy" I smile; she looks at me

"Jessie, and sure but no paperwork, it's scary" she smiles at me sadly; I can already tell she's going to be a handful.