Chapter Four

As the night wore on, Comineza became increasingly drunk and Natasha placated him with her flirtatious attentions.

Seeing how there was more space outside, many had gathered on the sand to dance along to the music that blasted from the speakers which were situated within the bar.

Loki regarded the revellers with quiet contempt, sneering at their human idiocy. He also looked on disdainfully as Natasha obligingly danced with Comineza, and his irrational possessiveness practically made his skin blister due to the heat of his envy.

Undeserving mortal. She was dutifully bestowing her affections on her intended victim, which seemed like such a terrible waste. Loki could be patient when circumstances called for it, but patience was not one of his virtues. And he was being pushed to the limits of his endurance.

Natasha was well aware of being silently stalked by Loki, though she feigned ignorance. Pretending to be unaffected by the way he lurked predatorily in the shadows. He put her in mind of a lazy, but potentially lethal big cat, as he sat casually on one of the metal chairs outside the bar, idly waiting for the moment when he would strike.

But Loki liked to toy with his prey before he killed it.

As he watched her he felt the disturbing heat return to his body. The dark, carnal need which turned his usually cold blood to molten lava. His long fingers curled around the stem of his wine glass as his hungry, traitorous eyes drank-in the sight of her running her hands up and down her body with a flair of sensuality that effected him deeply.
Miss Romanoff's feminine sexuality and utterly alluring movements caused him to absently grip the glass so tightly, it was a mere miracle that it didn't splinter in his hand.

As much as he disliked the way in which she danced with Comineza, provocatively swaying her hips against his in time with the throbbing beat of the music, he took great relish in toying with her from afar. 
Using his magic, he cloaked himself then created two duplicates and had them wander around the periphery where the revellers danced. Taking care to have them positioned on opposite sides, one would appear, silently watching her, casting her sultry glances, then just when she made a point of looking away, a few moments later she would see the other, watching her from a different angle, flashing her a wicked, half-smile.

As much as Natasha tried to not notice her brooding admirer, she couldn't help not noticing. He seemed to be everywhere she turned. There one minute then gone the next.
Turning her attention back to Comineza, she plastered on her most convincing smile and danced in a calculatedly carefree manner, with her hands in the air.

But she was unnerved.
If her 'suitor' was indeed an assassin, then she was forced to admit that perhaps she had met her match. She had perhaps underestimated him. He was unfathomably stealthy, relentless and quite obviously determined. And if he was pursuing her romantically....well, she didn't find that any less worrying. Because, infuriatingly, he wasn't like any other man she'd ever met.

After some time, she made her excuses to Comineza, saying she needed to go to the bathroom. He nodded and remained where he was, dancing drunkenly whilst taking long swigs from a bottle of beer.
Natasha sloped away, casting nervous glances all around, surveying the area before making her way around the side of the bar, heading towards the back of the building where it was quieter and more secluded.

She'd just taken her cell phone from her purse, her intentions were to call HQ and inform them about the mysterious Loki, thinking perhaps he'd be known to them. She even contemplated discreetly taking a picture of him, so they'd be able to run an identity check to determine if he was really who he said he was, and whether or not he posed any real risk. But then suddenly she felt an ominous presence. Her instincts alerting her to the fact that something was wrong.
That she wasn't alone.