Chapter Nine

Natasha looked momentarily confused. Unsure of what to make of Loki's bizarre proclamation. She was frowning slightly, but her mouth kicked up at the corner in a bemused smile.

"Oh so you're THE Loki from Scandinavian legend." Her question sounded more like a statement, and her voice was gilded with sarcasm. "Because that makes sense."

Loki continued to stare at her unwaveringly, remaining eerily silent. Putting her in mind of the lull before a storm.

She gave a strained laugh. "How long were you in that bar for?"

"I am not inebriated, Miss Romanoff, if that is what you're insinuating."

Natasha's smile slowly faded as she realised he didn't appear to be joking. On the contrary, he looked deadly serious.

"You're....you're being serious?"

"Yes."

"So wait a minute, let me just get this straight...." Her green eyes narrowed, as she struggled to make sense of it. "....you're claiming to be a Norse God? And you actually, genuinely believe that's what you are?"

Loki's jaw clenched in irritation. "I am a God. Granted I understand how it must be difficult for your race to accept that we exist, but--"

"My race?" She interjected sharply.

"Yes your race, Midgardians. This is Midgard." He made a sweeping gesture with his hand.

Natasha blinked in disbelief. "Midgardians, by that you mean humans, is that it?"

"Correct."

"And you're from.....another planet? Which basically makes you an alien, right?"

"I'm from another realm, yes. I do however, find the term alien to be rather distasteful and offensive. After all, where I come from you are the ones who are considered aliens. Certainly an inferior species." He explained patiently, in an almost bored voice.

"You prefer being referred to as a God?"

"Yes because that is what I am." He dipped from the waist to give her a mocking little bow. "I am Loki, of Asgard."

She stared at him, her expression unreadable. A long silence ensued. A dense silence that was heavy and oppressive. The only sound to be heard was the gentle lapping of the ocean. When Loki couldn't stand her ominous silence any longer, for once he ignored his pride, and demanded a response from her. That was, after all, the least he deserved after his honest admittance.

"Won't you say something?"

She'd begun pacing back and forth fretfully, her arms folded at her waist, her gaze fixed on the small trail of footprints her bare feet left in the sand.

Another awkward minute dragged by, and still no reply came. Loki was incensed. His patience, rapidly dwindling.

"Say something!" He demanded, sounding more desperate than he would've liked.

"What do you expect me to say?" She snapped, just as equally irritated, if not more so. "You actually believe that you're a deity. That's...crazy. Do you have any idea how delusional you sound?"

"You doubt me, Miss Romanoff?"

"Of course I do. If I believed you then that would make me just as crazy as you!" She shook her head, incredulous.

He forced a humourless laugh, that seemed to get stuck in his throat. "How ironic. I'm the God of lies, and now I'm being honest you don't believe me."