Symphony of Lies

Perhaps one day when the stars are merry and the moon is ripe, you and I will cross paths. Until then, know that you are loved.

Stay well, my son.

Mother.

Octavia folded the letter and tucked it away in its envelope, before adding it to the neat stack on the box lid, but when she reached for another, her hand found nothing but air. She laid back in the grass, watching tufts of clouds creep across the sky. The late afternoon sun stained them shade of burning orange and yellow.

After the last two days' events, she needed a moment alone to clear her head, focus on something besides the scourge, and Claud's letter had provided the escape she needed. While she'd find no clues as to the woman's whereabouts, it was evident from the letters that Claud's mother loved him more than anything.

Many apologies were scrawled on those pages. Apologies for leaving him. Apologies for not being there for him. But there was also hope. Hope that he was happy and healthy. Hope that they'd see each other again.

I have to help them. Even if it meant leading Claud to a corpse. At least he'd have closure.

Octavia packed the letters away in the box. Before she could pick it up, a bird landed on the lid, hopping and chirping before fluffing out its feathers. It gazed up at her, yellow breast bright and beady eyes unblinking.

"How can I help you, friend?" she asked, but the creature continued to stare. "A song, perhaps?" Hopefully, her voice wasn't too much of a disappointment compared to Kaleri's. She sang of springtime, of new leaves, budding flower and budding romance. Of shy lovers and rainy nights. And as she sang, gentle sounds disturbed her music, muted footfalls and the rustle of clothing. Now it was truly a show.

When the last word of the song tapered off, the bird tilted its head at her and flew off, disappearing in the canopy of a fruit-laden tree.

"You can come out," Octavia called.

Sicero appeared from behind a tree, eyes on the ground and hands stuffed in the pockets of his coat. "My apologies. I didn't mean toact so crudely." He cleared his throat. "You have a lovely voice."

"Thank you." She returned her attention to the bird who hopped along a branch it tune to its own song. "I was just about to head back." The words came out like a groan. She stroked the flower bud of a wildflower while frowning at the cold reality beyond her bubble of bliss. The snow hadn't touched this blessed place. Its cold indifference shunned by the stubborn beauty of life. If only she could wield sin and symphony in such a glorious way.

"I can walk you back. If you don't mind the company." Sicero kept his eyes on the trees, ever the bashful priest.

If only she didn't find his shyness so endearing. The way his eyes darkened as his focus shifted to the ground. The pinch in his brow. The quirk of his lips. It only softened her heart further. Misguided feelings, her mentor would've called it, but that old prude was six feet underground where her opinion no longer mattered.

Octavia picked up the box and motioned to the path back. "Lead the way."

For a long while, they walked in silence, an arm's distance apart. Still his spicy scent wafted in the air spurred on by the northern breeze. The frozen trees drifted by them and their branches criss-crossed over their head.

The hairs on the back of her next rose, and she looked up just as he looked away. How long would they keep dancing around each other? Nothing could blossom between them—not romance or friendship. They were on opposite ends of this fight, and soon they may be on opposite ends of the world.