Springtime Rondo [Epilogue]

Octavia picked up her last belonging, her heart growing heavy. Outside her window, Hedalda was awash in spring. New leaves burst from once frozen branches and grass and wildflowers crawled up from the earth, invigorated by the warm days and nighttime downpours. The air smelt crisp and new and only carried the faintest chill—winter's farewell. And hers too.

She turned the card over in her hands, traced her fingers over the names of all the children beneath the colourful Welcome Miss Octavia. She'd miss the rambunctious little gaggle of them, but there were other places that needed her. She tucked the card away with her books and latched the trunk close. One more village saved. One more battle won.

A knock on her room door pulled her from her thoughts. Claud stood in the hall with a box held aloft like a server's tray. "Glad I caught you. Couldn't let you leave without this." He presented the box as though he was serving hor'dourves and lifted the lid with a flourish.

Red lace and heavy black fabric sat folded inside. The dress. Her dress. She wanted to clutch it to her chest and jump up and down like a giddy child. She hadn't seen it since the night of the ball and assumed the Council had burned it. "Thank you Claud. I hope I'll get the chance to wear it again." Fighting the netherborne didn't allow for much merriment.

"Even if you don't, take it as a token of good faith. Good luck out there."

"You won't be here much longer either, hm?"

He leaned against the door frame. "I received a letter from Quintus last night. He's making arrangements for me to go to the archives. Apparently there is a lot of rigmarole involved."

"Indeed. We're very wary of outsiders. But with Quintus' blessing you should be able to get there without too much hassle." So long as he kept quiet and did as he was told, he'd make it into the archives with his head intact.

"Good to know." He tilted his head and looked past her. "Need some help getting your things downstairs?"

"Please."

Claud took her trunks while she grabbed her bag and parasol. Villagers were up and down the corridors, carrying everything from bedding to shelves as they made last-minute preparations to welcome Hedalda's first refugees.

Beatrix had spoken animatedly about the day's plans at their meeting last night. A welcome reception at the hall, then the new residents would be given time to rest and acclimate before a bonfire at the Cathedral that night. Resources were flowing in from Avaly and more would arrive from the southern nations in the coming weeks. Hedalda was on its way to prosperity.

And Octavia wouldn't be there for any of it. She'd stayed in this place far longer than she should have. With the netherborne gone and the framework established for Hedalda to become a haven, she wasn't needed anymore.

A carriage awaited her on the Cathedral's front lawn, along with half the village. They clapped and cheered as she passed through, screaming their gratitude, farewells and well wishes. Octavia gave them coy waves and thanks as she passed through.

Beatrix met her halfway with Winslet at her side. "I have something for you, a token of our thanks." From her pocket, she produced a small gold pin, fashioned in the shape of a lily, with a single sapphire on its stem. "The Gilded Lily. In a time before the scourge it was our village's highest honour. This is the last one. Take it with Hedalda's blessing and know that you'll always have allies here." She secured the pin on Octavia lapel. "Godspeed Octavia."

"Thank you." She put a hand over the pin. "I'll take good care of it. And good luck to you all too." As she continued through the crowd, the kids stepped into her path, blocking her way to the carriage.