Chapter 2: Difference

I bend the water around me like a ball, holding myself in a fetal position with my eyes shut.

The next thing I feel is a crash around me, and the vibrations of the water. While the ball I made tears itself apart, leaving me still shooting through the water hoping for the best. Much too soon I feel my lungs begin to cry for air. Unfurling myself I swim up, at least whatever feels like it.

"GASP!!"

I break the surface and painfully cough up the water that sunk in my chest, frantically making sure I say above the water. It takes me a moment before I begin correcting myself and how I'm swimming.

Shakeing the water off my eyes, I look ahead to see a gorgeous city.

Buildings tall and standing beautifully in a glimmering sun with mountains behind to add to the scene.

I've never seen anything like it, to my left is a huge green statue of a boy with a staff, it looks familiar. To my right is a bridge.

'Am i?-no I can't be.'

Ive only heard rumors about what this place used to be. How am I seeing it? much less this gorgeous.

Is this what the world used to look like?

I feel myself shiver a bit, but it's enough for me to know I should get out.
I cant just go up to a dock, what if they freak out?

I look around and spot a small rivulet leading to what looks like a park of sorts, the option is better than nothing.
I dive under and push myself with waterbending.

Coming closer over shallow water I come up and duck behind a few bushes to dry off, then walk into the open. To my surprise there are people walking about, with children and parents, seemingly with no care in the world. The sun is bright and pleasant without a trace of... Fear.

Why are they so carefree? Is this what it's like? No.. No it can't be, there were recordings of this entire place destroyed. It's impossible for there to be people here... Unless...

I walk up to a woman and put on a kind smile to ask a simple question, "what year is it again, it seems I forgot? " I say bashful. She looks supprised but then kindly responds, "1923 sir, don't worry about it" She looks me up and down then smirks. "Anything else you need help with Sir? " You catch on immediately and decline, dissapointed, she walks away. Leaveing you behind in a slight state of shock.

'1923!'

There's no way. I would've had to go back over over two hundred years!

I sit on a park bench with my head in my hands. I listen to the people walk by, engageing in cheerful and irrelevant conversation.

'It was impossible for people even in my time to time travel. How? How am I here?'

At a certain point I realise it looks odd for someone to be sitting like this alone, I have to move to maybe get my mind off of this a bit.

Walking about the city I see more and more of this past, I've already pinched myself. This isn't a dream, all of this is real. This is what Republic City used to be. People on the various streets advertise food or trinkets or toys. I catch a glimpse of a radio and it looks ancient.

As much as I would absolutely love to stay in my head here, I have to figure out what to do now. I can't keep wandering the streets with nothing and no reason to be here. What am I even supposed to do? Maybe find someone who can help with whatever just happened? Yea that sounds like a good plan. Good a plan as any of this point. The only problem with said 'plan' is the question of who tf even knows about this.

I stop and start looking at the street signs. From what I remember this place was very typical in terms of simplicity of navigation. The capital should be a few blocks from here. I start walking.

Turning a corner I see a few people gathered, and a scuffle somewhere in the street and stop at the corner.

I peek past the corner and see a woman yelling at three people dressed in old outfits, this place really is the deal. She wears old water tribe clothes. I can't be bothered to watch people fight, I have things to do. I turn away and its just then I feel vibrations in the ground, I look towards the girl and see that she just earth bended.Soon after I see her toss fire 'What the literal fuck?!' I recognize her now, she's korra! The water bender who opened the spirit gap that I just got thrown into, if there's anybody who knows anything about this its her. I look at her again. She doesn't look like she's all that powerful or important yet. Either way, her being my best shot, I stand and wait for her.

She attempts to run away but it doesn't really work as well as she hoped.
So eventually the law enforcement comes, and she gets dragged off to who knows where. Great. Now I have to follow wherever she goes, who knew I'd be babysitting an avatar generations before me...  Actually that's pretty funny.

I end up following her all the way to the police station. I can't exactly follow her, so I wait outside. After what feels like forever there's an old man in red and orange robes enter, and he's the one who leaves with korra. Discretely I follow them, they take a boat and leave for a harbor, I can't exactly get on it so my stalking has to end here, it's getting boring.

I have to find a place to go for the night, even if it's hard stone.
"Haha, as if I didn't do that enough already"

I find my way to an abandoned factory of a sort. I use the surrounding buildings as ledges, and work my way in through a broken window. Crates lie beneath me, everything else is stone or old rusty metal. As they do in any typical story, I keep wondering the what and why of my situation. Coming up with nothing. I need to rest, korra is my best shot at anything. I'll have to find her tomorrow. I make myself comfortable on the old wood, and fall asleep.