Chapter 3: The Bending Match

As stiff as the boards beneath me, my body aches when I wake. Still just about as tired as I was before I went to sleep. I open my eyes, I can see rays of warm light shinning through the broken window.

It's hard to believe that all of this exists. The warmth and heat of the sun, now in this time visible through the clouds. Where- I mean when I was, the clouds were so thick with smog and whatever else was up there, that it blocked out the sun. It was cold and dull, the grass wasn't green anymore and the trees mostly died. They kept me inside to stop the rest of the world from finding me, I only ever got to see the world from a small barred gap in my wall. The things I know about the world was all from stories the others would tell when I got the chance to see who else was in the facility... I remember how they looked at me with such disappointment. That I wasn't fixing the world, as if I could do anything about it in my position.

Tears threaten to fall as I look at the rays. I remember it's time to find korra again. Getting up, I take a look at the place around me, in the light it's easier to see. The floors are old, covered in what I can only hope is oil. At the least that I can see, the place is small and bare other than the crates im on and the support beams. I make my way back out and start wandering through the streets, finding my way back to the view of the island of temples. If that Airbender master was walking along with korra, then there's a good chance she's there. Water bending comes in handy once again while I make my way to it.

It's large and I'm able to swim around to an area of brush out of view and make my way up. There's three temples with walkways and courtyards between. I almost get spotted by white lotus when I try moving. I get to overhear them.
"-can't believe that they actually moved us here to watch her"

"Yea, at least we get warm weather here right? "

"Haha, well, guess some of korra's mishaps can do good by us too. "

"Now what was that you were saying abo-"

That's where they got too far away for me to hear them anymore. Of course she's here, glad I was right. I'll see her eventually if I just wait.

Right again, she's walking a pathway beside the master. She stops.. What is she doing?

She begins talking about how she's never had a knack for airbending."Every time I try it's just...pthh."she says as she sticks her tongue out in an a disgruntled motion. So she really hasn't 'mastered' all of the elements yet, then again ,she is only a teenager.

The master then begins talking, "often the element most opposite from the avatars personality is the one most difficult to master." He pulls her selves down so that they lay flat, guess he isn't one for messing with the uniform. "For aang it was earth bending" He continues. Korra adds that she's about as opposite of air bender as you can get. The master smiles and says, "let's begin your first lesson"

I'm honestly interested in how she'll do with air bending. With how she's been, hot headed and impulsive, it should be quite a show.

They walk to an elevated platform full of turnable planks, this exercise was used for me too. Except it wasn't the same material, they were made of sharpened lightweight sheets of metal to mimic this, in their own barbaric way. Thankfully air bending was easy for me more or less, I didn't get hit by them much. They gave it up for me soon after.

Three children wait on the platform as well. And one of them explains a few rules. I take the time to find a hiding spot and sit so I can watch, the master bends a gust of wind and starts turning the gates, it's up to korra now.

He let's a leaf float through the gates as he explains how you must flow to get past. I'm going to save you the suspense and just say that by the end, korra seems to have lost her way after getting slapped too many times by boards. I snicker as she face plants the ground. She really doesn't have a way with air. The master sighs in what I can only believe to be frustration and dismisses her for the day. She eventually gets up and walks back down the way to the temple.

After a little while of not moving to make sure nobody notices me, I crouch my way back to the main courtyard. It's not like I can exactly follow her into the building with so many people, I don't risk it. Eventually it becomes night and I can hear people inside and the sound of dishes. I decide not to worry about dinner for today, while I may be hungry, I can last for a bit longer before I need to eat. I have to focus on finding out how to approach her as an avatar, or If I should even at all.

Korra comes out late and begins "practicing" Her nonexistent air bending. Before burning her target. She becomes distracted by a radio. She gets exited and climbs off to another roof to listen, before getting scolded by the master and forced into the temple for the night. I can't go after her so I spend about an hour trying to find a place on the island to sleep, eventually settleing on a small cave hidden by a large boulder that digs into the dirt, it's floored with grass so I settle in and sleep, it's not that bad.

By the next day I end up sleeping until at least noon, and I begin to wonder if I'm in some sort of jet lag from the portal here, I wait all afternoon but I don't see korra until after dark, she's going somewhere. But where? She dives off the cliff into the sea, then swims to a glowing building across the water, I follow a little ways behind her.

The building is suspended over the water, and she tosses herself up into an open archway. I climb up after her and follow her down a hallway, But then as she turns into a room, a man comes towards me, I hide behind a pillar only to see him walk in too. I hear some commotion about some kind of boyfriend situation before I'm blocked from her again. I have to find some way of-ah ha, theres a minute of the old man turning away, I take the chance to sneak past, by the time I get to the room where korra is, I get to see three men in red turned away on a platform as well as her. I really need to find a better way to spy on her. She stands exited as she watches benders battle each other. There's one who's form is interesting to me. He takes hit after flying hit and just stands like it's so simple... Wow...

I become enthralled in the match too, I find myself staring in awe of how he's the last one standing durring the final round. He weaves his way so easily by the attacks, I silently cheer for him. He takes them down one by one. Cmon... HE WINS! YES! I-I mean, horay, good for him. I scold myself.
I'm forced to hide as the benders come back, theres a vent above the door that leads just over head into the room, thank you earth bending. I climb up and watch from there.

"You did more harm than good out there, you almost cost us the match" I can hear someone scold, who is that? I see a man with black hair talk to a water bender. He becomes agitated and leaves. I'm glad I'm not at the door anymore. Korra proceeds to compliment them, especially the black haired one. He blows it off though.

She then proceeds to tell them how she's an earth bender, water bender, and fire bender. Confusing the one she's talking to. The guy behind them says"you're the avatar... And I'm an idiot" Its kinda funny. They are kind of amazed at it for a bit before agreeing to leave, they all walk to the large room from before. The vents are shockingly clean on the way there. I watch them for a bit then follow korra on her way back home. She leaves for the temple, and I take that as my cue to go back to my spot for the night. The grass is just as soft as it was yesterday, a niceness I enjoy. I drift off, thinking about the trouble that korra has gotten herself into for tonight.

__________________________________

Hello everyone reading, I hate whenever I see these so I'm gonna keep it short.

I'm sorry for the ridiculously long wait for this and the mediocre writing, I know it can be hard to follow sometimes and there are a lot of grammar mistakes. But I do enjoy this story concept, if you want to keep reading and deal with me being a horrid author feel free, and thank you for being interested at all. I hope you enjoy the few chapters that are here. I try to make long chapters so it's a better experience for you all. This is getting boring so I hope you have a good night
Or day
Or what ever time it is for you when you read this.
I wish you all well.