The Promise

Justin's POV

"I still don't understand why you're throwing this party." I whined as I slipped into the shirt. My arm was still aching but it was really better than before.

"It's just a little get together Justin." she said while combing back my hair with her fingers. "Because my son is alright and is going to college next week."

I kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to upset her by telling my decision.

"I don't like those people you must have invited. Lawyers, politicians, businessmen. Ugh" I rolled my eyes.

"Even Emily?" she asked.

"Even Em.. Wait. What did you say?" I immediately straightened up and looked into her eyes.

"Well, I might have invited Emily too." she told me and a smile made its way to my face. I tried to hide it but couldn't and mom's smirk told me that she already knew the reason behind it.

"I love you Mom." I leaned towards her and pecked her face. "You're the best."

"Dramatic much?" she said and slapped my chest. "I'm going to check the arrangements. Be ready." She said and left, leaving me excited to meet her. I put extra efforts in my hair and outfit then, because it's been a week since I met her. We talked through messages though, but neither of us went to see each other.

...

Emily's POV

The Reeds were rich, like filthy rich. So it was expected that their parties must be really classy. The guests were probably all millionaires and then there was me, poor, broke Emily. For the outfit, I found the most expensive dress in my closet which was a nude and black bodycon dress and paired it with a decent bag and black heels.

Baffled, I entered their house and bright light almost blinded me. It looked like those parties in movies, women dressed in Gucci and Chanel, men looking like businessmen cut out of business magazines.

I wonder if I fit in. Mrs. Reed was a really nice woman. She invited me so sweetly that I couldn't reject. But I knew Mr. Reed won't be really happy to meet me, or probably he won't even notice me.

"Emily." I was walking forwards when someone called from behind. I turned around and found Mrs. Reed beaming at me. She was wearing a white gown and her hair was pulled up in a neat bun. All in all, she looked really graceful.

"Hi Mrs. Reed." I said and she politely hugged me.

"Call me Bianca dear." she smiled.

"Um.. Sure." I said. "Where is Justin?" I looked around and asked.

"He is in his room." she told me. "Don't worry, he will be here soon."

She then left to meet one of the guests and I looked around awkwardly. There were some people of my age here but I was too shy to go and start a discussion so I just stood there silently and observed my surroundings.

A waiter passed by me, carrying drink around. I picked orange juice from the tray and brought it to my lips but in my anxiety, I accidentally spilled it on the nude part of my dress.

Gulping loudly, I cursed myself mentally and putting the drink down, rushed towards the corridor at the end of the hall. It ended in a room whose door was already opened.

Stepping inside the room, I looked for the bathroom but instead, met with Justin sitting on the bed, holding his head. It wasn't his room though but well, it's his house.

"Hey." I asked, sitting beside him.

He raised his head and started at me with a smile on his face. "Hey. What are you doing here?"

"Um." I pointed towards the stain. "Clumsy me."

He chuckled and then adjusted the necklace in my neck in such a way that it rested over the small stain. "Problem solved."

"Thanks." I muttered and observed his face. He looked really stressed and even though he was fully dressed, he didn't like in mood of joining the party. "Are you fine?" I inquired.

"Yeah." he replied.

"Then why aren't you in a party which is in your honor?" I asked.

He ran his fingers through his hair and let out an aggravated sigh. "Because I am not going to college." he said.

I felt sadness and surprise envelop me at the thought of him not joining Julliard. "But why?"

"Because I am toxic." he said in a defeated voice.

"Don't talk like that." I requested him, my own voice felt weak.

"No Emily, you were right. What happened between us can't be forgotten that easily. I have issues, like serious anger issues. I think I need to solve these before joining you in the college." he sounded confident in his decision.

"But-"

"I like you. I really do." he brought his hands to my face and cupped my cheeks. "And I want you to like me, the real me. The one who's not crazy and impulsive. The one who's still in somewhere inside me."

"Justin. Don't do this." I requested but a part of me knew he was right.

"I'll be there with you in an year. I'll spend this year bettering myself, making me worthy of your time. I have already met a therapist. I hope you'll wait for me." he leaned towards me and pressed his lips to mine. It was just a small peck but it was enough to make my heart skip a beat.

"I will." I said with my eyes still closed. "I'll wait for you, I promise."

Opening my eyes, I found him staring at me with this intense look in his eyes. "Let's go. My mother must be waiting for us." he said, changing the subject and laced his fingers with mine, pulling me up from the bed.

_______________________