The silent savior

Arnav's heart skipped a beat.

She's smiling?

He inched closer to the glass pane separating him from Khushi's room, carefully holding the leaves to stop them from rustling.

There was a vase in her hand, and she was softly caressing the intricate floral design on its backside. Her smile was fond, loving even, and her eyes shone with admiration and delight. 

His heart  skipped a beat again, only this time it was out of happiness . He himself had put the vase there after their argument, when she'd complained he frisked away all the vases in her room.  He had specially chosen the vase for her, a soothing sunset orange in color, hoping she'd like it. 

By the looks of it, she did .

Khushi put down the vase carefully and sat on her bed, finally glancing at the gift box at the bedside table. Frowning, she picked it up, read the tag, and grimaced. 

Arnav scrutinized every expression with utmost  concentration . She seemed to hesitate , but finally slid the lid of the box off. 

The box fell down with a clatter, spilling it's contents all over the floor as Khushi stared at it, eyes wide with horror. Normally, Arnav found her o ‒ shaped lips very endearing, but now he was simply appalled . The acute look of horror on her face, mixed with disgust and hatred worried him ‒ there was something surely wrong with her and Shyam. 

Is Shyam trying to misbehave with her? 

"Chotte Malik ?"

Arnav jerked straight up, awkwardly brushing the lapels of his coat as he turned around to face a bewildered Hp. 

"Yes?"

Hp seemed baffled ‒ he couldn't understand why his Chotte Malik had been crouching under the bushes , that too in the garden adjacent to the guestroom. 

"Woh, I came to water the plants...remember? This is the guestroom garden not your personal ..."

"Sure ‒ why don't you tell me where to live in my own house while you're at it ?!" Arnav interrupted angrily. He crab-walked sideways, away from the glass screen, so that Khushi didn't see them conversing ‒ the last thing he wanted her to know was that he'd been spying on her.

"Nahi nahi  Chotte Malik , I was just -"

"How about you mind your business and do what you're supposed to do ?"

"But...This is what I'm supposed to do !"

"Spy on me ?"  While I spy on Khushi ..?

"Arre nahi Chotte Malik , watering the plants in gardens other than your own garden !" 

Arnav huffed and stomped away , annoyed at being interrupted , leaving a very confused Hp behind.

Khushi wiped her tears hastily , patting her cheeks with her dupatta . She didn't want to go downstairs again, and face that asshole Shyam, but Anjali had already called thrice to inform lunch  was ready. She threw the gift into the dustbin, taking care to wrap it in layers of newspaper to conceal the vile presents .

As she descended the stairs, she was very much aware of a certain person .

She peeked from under her lashes to find Arnav's brooding gaze on her. He seemed to be disturbed - he kept cracking his knuckles. 

Khushi smiled at Nani and proceeded to sit next to her . 

"Arre Rani Sahiba, sit here na - Hp will bring the rest of the dishes !" Shyam exclaimed , his sickly sweet smile laced with fake concern.