Chapter III - The Green-Eyed Monster

"You need a hobby," mutters Hailey after blowing her long pink and blue bang off her face.

"Hot boys is my hobby," replies Lauren. "Speaking of hot boys, where is your boyfriend, Mel?"

I shrug my shoulders. I'm exhausted and I couldn't care less. I'm currently seeing Emmet Winterbourne. Filthy rich and the captain of our basketball team, not to mention the star of water polo, that's Emmet. It's rare that a senior, especially one as popular as Emmet to pay attention to a sophomore but for some reason, he seems to like me.

The Winterbournes are from old money and highly respected. He's from the right family and perfect for me, according to mom. When he kept asking me out four months ago, mom told me to accept it, so I do.

"I think he's with the team, cleaning up the mess they made at John Winston High," I tell Lauren, leaning heavily on her as we climb up the few steps to the main entrance.

John Winston High is a much bigger school than ours. It is a public high school and also our biggest rival. Despite having much bigger funds and better facilities, we lost the last championship to them. The rivalry has gone up another level after our loss. The members of the two teams start playing pranks on each other. At first, it's just stealing flags or hanging up banners, making fun of each other, now it involves fights and destruction of properties. Last night, I heard that our team went and dumped garbage all over their gym and spray painted the walls.

"They started very early this morning and would probably be there through lunch and after school. I think the coaches had enough of it no matter how much money their families piled on the school," I explain.

"No offense, but your boyfriend is an idiot," announces Hailey.

"None taken," I tell her. Emmet's not too bad but he can be a tad snooty and also an idiot at times.

"All boys are idiot, especially hot ones," replies Lauren. "That's a given."

"Speaking of idiots, where's that lovely sister of yours?" Hailey never makes it a secret that she thinks Luella is an idiot as well.

I spot Luella's robin's egg blue Miata next to a white Mercedes and a red Audi but I don't see her around. She, her friend, Jesse and a few other girls usually hang out near Emmet's group of friends. In mornings like this, they're usually near where Emmet usually parks his car or if they're inside, they would all be in front of Emmet's locker. Right now, I'm not surprised that Emmet's silver GT Roadster isn't here.

The moment we step inside the walls of Belfountain Academy, I feel it- strange energy in the air, making my own buzzing in response. I look around but I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Luella and Jesse are standing just outside the office door, discussing something. She glares at Hailey as we walk past. "What are you looking at, freak?" she says to Hailey. I think the person Luella hates more than me, is Hailey, and the feeling is mutual. I don't remember if they ever fought over anything specifically, but Luella and Hailey have been mortal enemies for as long as I can remember.

Hailey smirks and says, "I thought I was looking at a donkey's a-hole but then I realized it's just your face." Oh, my god! I facepalm and Lauren bursts out laughing. Luella gasps. Her face rapidly turns bright red with anger.

I grab the arms of both, Hailey and Lauren and drag them away before Luella recovers and come up with another insult. Not that I think Luella will ever let this go. I'm sure she'll come up with something when she catches up with us later.

When we reach my locker, I take a deep breath and lean against the cool metal in exhaustion. The initial surge of energy that I felt is now gone and fatigue and pain seep in through my body like venom. I don't understand what's happening.