Sang and the Lights: Double Size Issue! You Don't Want to Miss This!

PART ONE

THE NEW ELITES

I sighed in happiness, closing my eyes and stretching out on my towel, my sore muscles appreciative. For the first time ever, we had gotten a day off. My Dad and Emma were off at a UN meeting on the recognition of Utopia as a foreign nation, and left Rogue in charge our of training. Knowing we had just come from a grueling week with Logan in New York, Rogue, in an act of mercy that saw her as a goddess in my Lights' books, let us have the day off. And so, here we were, on the beach.

I closed my eyes and basked in the summer sunlight that warmed my skin, red and black spots dancing across my vision. This was my first recreational trip out on the beach in months. I used to play outside in the sun all the time with my Dad and Rachel, and before that, before the schism, Kurt and Remy, with Rogue tagging along occasionally, used to take me down all the time. Some of my best memories of my two uncles were on the beach, which included them teaching me to swim. After schism, I came less frequently, and when I did come, it was with Dad and Rachel. I think my Dad was jealous of my affection for Kurt and Remy, and tried to rewrite my memories of them with him in the spotlight. But, now... I don't come down here.

As if sensing my change in mood, I feel a presence above me, and water slowly drips onto me. I pried an eye open to see Nathan standing above me, a grin on his face. His red hair was spiked in every other direction that I wished I had a camera to capture, but my attention lingered downwards to his tan, freckled skin, tight abs and a v that pointed down into his low slung red swim shorts. "Hello, sailor," I drawled, forcing my eyes to meet his blue ones. He had a knowing look on his face, but I refused to go red.

"Hey there, Peanut," he replied, sitting down next to me into the sun. "You having fun?" he said, grabbing my hand with his. I felt a shiver go through me, and I looked back to the water where the rest of the boys were still playing. Despite their fire abilities, Silas and Kota were having a blast, engaging in a water fight with Victor, who was trying his best to defend himself by spinning the water away with a gust of wind. Gabriel was staying in the shallows so his wings wouldn't get wet, yelling and cursing at the rest of them.

"No," I replied eventually, looking at Nathan who was frowning. "But I'm content, and that's good enough for me. And besides, I like watching you dumbasses."

He let out a guffaw, hitting my shoulders with his. His skin is warm and damp, and for a second I imagine myself licking the water off and what it would taste like. "I assure you, I think we're perfect gentlemen." I quirk an eyebrow, and he waves me off. He looks down at the sand near our conjoined hands, concentrating, as a plant sprouts, growing rapidly until it's a perfect pink rose that matches my swimsuits. "Milady," he jokes, and I snort, but there is sincerity behind his gesture. He has come a long way from the creature of the forest I met a month ago who only cared about competition and beating his opponent to a pulp. There are still fragments there, but all I see now is a sweet boy with a flower.

Nathan takes his creation, and, pushing my red hair behind my ear, he tucks the rose there. Blue meets green, and then blue meets pink and he leans and I inhale-

"Oy!" Gabriel shots, and we rocket apart, both our faces turning as red as our hair. "Break it apart lovebirds! No getting cozy without us!" he shouts, and despite my embarrassment, I let out a giggle. He comes storming to the shore, the other three boys behind him.

Despite being the youngest and newest of our group, Gabriel is as fit as the other four and just as comfortable with me. Exhibit A- he sits down criss-cross applesauce at the edge of my towel, lifts me up into his lap with a grunt, and scoots up with the towel so he has more room. "Gabriel," I scold, whacking him on the arm. I'm not as used to this much physical contact from the opposite sex who weren't family. Even with my male friends in the past or my past flames weren't this affectionate with me. All of my Lights are like this with me- it feels like the stardust that usually stays in my head is making it's sluggish way through my veins, staining my skin a light pink and lighting my very nerve ends on fire. I like it.