Policeman

"Commander, people are probably staring right now-"

"So? Won't they just assume that you're flying us across the city as a part of a mission?"

Apetrully interrupted Li Shen as they were above ground, Li Shen making sure that he didn't drop the two men. He had them in his arms, one man in each arm, and his flying ability wasn't exactly the greatest, but it would have to do! It was nighttime, and the city streets had people and cars in them. The lights of the buildings looked kinda pretty, but now wasn't a time for sightseeing! The scroll had pointed them North, and the flight was kinda slow. Li Shen didn't wanna go too fast and lose control or drop one of them. Minutes felt like hours on that flight, the tension getting greater and greater the closer they got to the child. Presumably, the scroll glowing brighter over time meant that they were getting closer, and now it was bright. Li Shen looked below, and audibly gasped at what he saw.

It was the kid! And he was being cornered by some thugs!

Li Shen didn't hesitate for a moment, as he swooped down to the alleyway. He landed near them, putting Apetrully and Woo down beside him. The thugs didn't know how to react, then one of them pulled out his gun and aimed it at Li Shen. Li Shen quickly took one of his diamond-shaped darts on his belt and threw it at the gun, blocking up the barrel. He then charged forward and punched the thug in the gut, sending him back. The other two men realized that they should do something, and pulled out knives.

"Li Shen! Behind you!"
Apetrully exclaimed. Li Shen quickly turned around and fly above the men so that they couldn't rush him. He then threw two darts at their knives, knocking them out of the men's hands. The two men realized that this wasn't worth it, and ran over to their friend to help him up. The three thugs then ran out of the alley and into the street. The child was huddled against the wall, sobbing quietly and visibly shaking.

"Hey, kid, are you oka-"
Li Shen said before he was cut off by the kid pointing some sharp at him. It appeared to be some sort of small knife. Tears were streaming down his face, and he looked very afraid.

"S-Stay the hell away! Don't hurt me!"
The little boy choked out between his tears. Li Shen realized then that this child was afraid of them too, and that he needed to make him feel safe. He was also surprised that a young child just said "hell", where did he learn that from? Probably from TV or something like that, right?

"Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you. I fought off those bad guys and saved you. Look, I'll show you that I'm not dangerous."
Li Shen said in a softer tone of voice. He then took his darts and dropped them at his side. The little boy looked over at Apetrully and Woo, who proceeded to show that they had no scary objects on them either by holding out their hands.

Without saying a word, the little boy dropped his weapon and continued to sob. He was still scared and hurt, but at least he knew that these men wouldn't hurt him.

"Young man, why are you out here by yourself? Where are your parents? What's your name?"
Apetrully asked, getting closer to the boy.
The boy started crying harder at the mention of his parents, but thought that these guys could be policemen, men that he could tell the truth to.

"K-Kowloon sir, p-please don't take me back to daddy! He's mean and scary! M-Momma's...gone-"
Kowloon couldn't say anymore as his tears overwhelmed his speech. The three adults looked at each other, and started to realize what was going on. This little boy's father could've kicked him out, or he ran away from home to escape his father. The mother was out of the picture too. Li Shen felt anger coursing through his veins, and a sudden confidence came to him. Even if he didn't exactly know how to parent, one thing was for sure. He was going to protect this kid.

"We won't, I promise. Do you have any other family?"
Li Shen asked, picking up Kowloon and holding him tightly. Li Shen wanted to check if there was anyone out there who wanted to take him, not because he didn't care, but perhaps someone Kowloon knew wanted him to live with them? Kowloon sobbed into Li Shen's shirt for what felt like hours, before answering with: "N-No...it's just me and daddy...".

"Kowloon, could you tell us about your friends?" Apetrully asked, seeming to understand what Li Shen was doing.

"I-I don't have friends.." Kowloon muttered.

Li Shen then took Kowloon and held him out in front of him. "How about you come with me kid? I won't be mean or scary, I'll protect you."
Li Shen said. Kowloon was surprised by this act of kindness, and smiled a little.
He then wiped his face, or at least tried to, the poor boy needed wipes.

"O-Okay, policeman." Kowloon said happily. Li Shen then pulled him closer again, and looked over at Apetrully and Woo.

"I'll find a way to arrange things so that you can adopt him. Perhaps the scroll will help?" Apetrully said, seeming both relieved and tired.

"What scroll?" Kowloon asked.

"I'll tell you later, but first let's get you cleaned up. When's the last time you ate something?"
Li Shen asked.

"I dunno, I'm really hungryyyyy."
Kowloon whined, his eyes getting watery again.

"We'll get you something while we clean you up, I promise. For now, we gotta get in a helicopter. I'll fly us over there, is that alright with you? The flight on the helicopter is gonna take a while, but we could grab some food before we leave. We'd clean you up in the helicopter."
Li Shen asked, then he tightened his grip on Kowloon.

"T-That sounds like fun!"
Kowloon said excitedly. Li Shen then realized an error in his plan; how was he supposed to carry three people at once? Would it be safe to make two trips?

"Commander, how should I carry three peo-"
Before Li Shen could finish, Apetrully responded with: "Oh! That's a good point! Let's see...." and contemplated for a moment.

"Well, perhaps me and Kowloon could wait here while you and Woo when to get the helicopter?"
Apetrully suggested. He wasn't that good at fighting, but when he was enraged his strength was pretty good! Li Shen nodded, put down Kowloon, picked up Woo, and then flew into the sky. The trip didn't take long, and once Li Shen had the aircraft on another roof he flew down for Apetrully and Kowloon.