Obsession

Rachel had made it home just in time for yet another episode of mom vs. dad. She quietly crept her way up the stairs. Sneaking a snack from the kitchen as she ascended the steps. Making sure they wouldn't notice.

She avoided the chaos for the time being.

Though just as she thought everything was fine, loud curses and screaming fits ripped through the walls. Making it damn near impossible for her to sleep, she actually gets ready for bed this time.Once the smoke cleared, she went back down to soak in the bath. In her white tiled sanctum, she thought about the strange bandaged boy from school. She smiled a little to herself. Playing with the bubbles. Her nerves relaxing from the heat of the bath water. As well as the heat in her rosy face from that had stemmed from the thought of him.

She reached a hand between her legs. Letting out a soft breath as she moved her fingers slowly.

She then looked down at herself. Rachel was going to fantasize just a little longer. Maybe about his bandaged fingers caressing her body. Or even Zack's hot breath against her neck as he'd thrust his fingers deep inside of her but the images were soon tainted. Dyed black by the visuals of Danny.

She immediately felt disgusted. Washing herself as best she could.

Filthy. Disgusting…

She started to cry. Crossing her arms as she dug them deep into the skin of her arms. Drawing blood. After she left the bathroom, she got herself ready for bed. Her brain mostly on autopilot.

She wanted to disappear. Dissipate into nothingness.

Rachel didn't sleep much again that night. Crying softly into her pillow.

How much more of this…? Why…?

Am I not…

Meant to live happily?

Just outside of Zack's place, Wanda fumed in anger over the fact she got kicked to the curb. She wanted Zack. Zack didn't want her. That much was obvious to the cherry haired woman. She however, was someone who wouldn't give up so easily. She'd get what she wanted. Even if it meant taking it by force. She would see Zack again. Whether he wanted her to or not.

The next day Zack was pretty much past the threshold of sleep deprivation. Slowly making his way into a strange half awake-half asleep state. His phone kept buzzing with emails and calls but he ignored all of them. For once actually wanting to pay attention in class. Anything being better than his (not) ex's bullshit.

He waited at Rachel's locker and smiled pleasantly when he saw her.

Rachel's heart fluttered slightly as she caught a glimpse of him but it faded again when the harsh reality hit. This feeling wouldn't last. Not while Danny was around.

That's right...

I don't deserve to be happy.

"Hi, Zack."

She put on a fake smile. Waving back.

"Hey, Ray. Wanna go somewhere after school? Somewhere to eat maybe?" His voice had been surprisingly chipper. Though deep inside, he was starting to crack too. Though he didn't want her to worry about his problems. Why should she?

Ray thought about it for a moment. ".... I'm not sure." She lowered her head. Realizing it wouldn't be possible.

I want to... So badly. I want to but... It can only end bad. I know it. I'm not meant to be happy.

I'm not meant to live…

His voice seemed to break her out of her thoughts. If only for a moment.

"Let's go after school! It's my treat for helping me study and get me a five!" He said. "I hope ya like hamburgers."

I can't... I have to get home. I can't be late again.

No... But...

But--!

She finally caved and agreed to the proposal.

"....sounds good."

He smiled a bit wider. Soon getting excited. "Sweet! We'll go after school's over!" His phone rang as he looked at it with a glare.

"Really?! Another call?! Leave me alone, you bitch!" He cursed at his phone. Resisting the urge to throw it since he didn't have the money to replace it.

Ray caught notice of his irritated behavior. She decided to ask him. "It's not really my business but... Who's blowing up your phone like that?"

Zack let out an annoyed sigh. "My "ex".. She she broke into my apartment and tried having sex with me. So I kicked her out. Now she won't leave me the fuck alone." Zack turned his phone off. Putting it in his pocket.

"Did you not want her to?" Rachel's heart sped up. She had a feeling it was far more serious than he made it out to be.

No... Not him too.

...Don't you dare do this to him!

"No.. I don't want her. I want her to leave me alone…. I trust ya Ray, so I guess I'll tell you more." They both went around the backside of the free standing lockers to talk.

"It's like...No matter how much I threaten her she just won't leave me alone. Next time she comes, I'm giving that bitch a taste of my bat!"

She pressed a finger to her lips. Shushing his as well. "Not so loud. You could get sent to the office if someone hears." He blinked but went quiet. Once she knew he was calm enough to talk again, she moved her finger away.

Deep down,Rachel's blood was at a boil but her demeanor was calm. Aloof.

"I see... Is there anything you want me to do about it?"

Her tone became slightly dark. So much it even shocked her back to reality.

She blinks.

"I'm sorry! That came out weird."

Zack blank in surprise. But didn't pay it any mind. Looking off to the side. "I think there's really nothin you can do for me. She's always getting her way. She always gets what she wants..."

"Okay. I'm really sorry..."

She wants to help. She doesn't want to see him go through this. Unwanted attention.

Filthy hands.

Ah. Everything is bitter again…

"Well,we oughta get going to class. I'll see ya soon, Ray." He looked at Rachel with his usual happy look. His hands placed in the pockets of the hoodie he wore beneath his uniform.

Ray gave a small nod. "Okay." Soon replying with a faint smile in return. Somehow, she still felt like she could whenever he looked at her like that. The pain in both head and heart was starting to hurt just a little less.

She wanted that smile. To keep for herself. To preserve it forever and ever.
His happiness was quickly becoming hers.