Chapter Ten- Livia

A troop of the Violet Guard is gathered around the back of two large wagons, each bearing a willow emblem. Reddik jumps off his horse but before he can help me, I'm already dismounting. My boots hit the ground and I run towards the center of the men, pushing them aside.

Stepping past the last man, I see Amah, who has somehow survived, kneeling next to Oliver. He's lying motionless in a pool of his own blood.

Reddik brushes past me and kneels at his brother's side. Amah and I exchange looks; with relief also comes worry. Oliver doesn't look good. He's lost so much blood.

I go to his other side, take the hand that's covering his wound, and move it gently to his side. The gash is deep.

I close my eyes, and silence falls. The pulse of my own heartbeat echoes in my ears, but the boy's pulse is barely thumping. I can feel cold creeping over his body.

I push my gift over him. Along with his deep wound, his wrist is also broken. I bring the torn pieces of his belly back together first, mending up to the surface of his skin, and smoothing out the jagged edges. The organs are next. Each graze and cut disappears, and lost blood replenishes.

I turn my attention to his wrist. Without even thinking of how to piece together the shattered bone, my gift whirls around it, putting everything back in place.

A warmth spreads over me and I open my eyes. Sharp pain greets me, shooting across my head. I try to push it away as Oliver attempts to sit up.

"Whoa. Easy." Reddik puts his hand behind Oliver's back and helps guide him up. He shakes his head in disbelief.

When I look around, the guards are gawking at me. The magic that has been gone for a century is back. Each and every guard bends his knee and bows his head.

I sneak a glance to Amah. Her face glows with pride. Unable to hold back the pain any longer, I double over and grab my head.

"Livia?" I hear the concern in Amah's voice.

"My head. The pain. It hurts."

I turn away and begin dry heaving, the nausea coming on strong. Why does my body feel as if it has been stomped on? Amah comes to my side. She takes my arm and helps me up. I keep my eyes shut tight.

"Make way! Let's get her in the wagon. You! Fetch some water."

Someone takes my other arm. "Can't she heal herself?" It's Reddik.

"I don't know." Amah replies. "There's so much we don't know about her gift."

Unable to see or move, I rely on Amah and Reddik's help with every step. They hoist me into the back of the wagon. A cup is brought to my lips. "En Oli, drink this."

The water is cold and refreshing. But it only gives my stomach something to reject. Tears fall down my face. "Amah, what's wrong with me?"

A soft blanket covers me and the touch of Amah's hand is cool against my forehead. "Shh. Relax. Try to guide your gift inside yourself."

The floor beneath me wobbles, and I hear the sound of creaking wheels starting into motion. I try to focus, but nothing happens. I place my hands on my head and try again.

Silence consumes me. The blackness that usually fills the background is now illuminated in gold. Reaching towards it, my body gets warmer. The closer I get, the warmer I become. Soon the warmth is too much but I can't step back. I hold my breath as a furnace overpowers me. The pain is numbing. When I force air out from my lungs, the hotness dissipates and a violet mist shrouds me, soaking into my skin.