Chapter Twelve- Vera

The light from the lantern helps guide me down into the forgotten chamber. I was allowed to leave my party over an hour ago and I'm now on my way to meet my friends. After the show I put on, the king insisted I stay awhile, ignoring the fact that I'd just killed a man known by many who were there.

Any opportunity the king has to expose my distress, he takes every time. I remember seeing Bellek's distaste. But what did he expect me to do in that situation? My hands were tied.

Reaching the damp corridor, I enter into a side chamber and set the lantern down on a broken table. No matter how hard I try to make this dank room into anything, it is useless. There are far too many cracks that let in moisture and there is nothing to hide the strong smell of mildew.

Finding a salvageable chair, I carefully sit and wait. My thoughts go to Zyrik. The king had him taken away after the killing. I hope he doesn't understand what I did, but the thought of him seeing me create chaos churns my stomach.

Tonight was just a taste of the control the king has over me. I worry what he'll have me do next. The last thing I want is to become a monster. Which is why I want to meet with my friends—I need advice.

My ears perk to the sounds of their voices. Nate, Karl, and Murrow push through the door mid conversation. Their voices fade when they see me.

Murrow whistles. "Hell, Vera, you didn't have to dress so nice just for us."

His smile melts away when he sees my stone face.

"What is it?" Nate says.

"The king had me use my gift to kill someone tonight." Their expressions darken. "Once again he used Zyrik to force me to do his bidding. I'm worried what other things he will have me do, now that my gift has manifested."

Murrow looks to the others, then to me. "What is your gift?"

"Didn't you hear what happened to Slyk?"

"Someone said one of your knives went through his eye, and his arm was broken. No one knows exactly how it happened. Kah announced how you deserved all ten lashes though—asshole."

"Oh. Would you like me to show you how I did it?" I wiggle my fingers at them.

Karl shakes his head. "How about you just tell us first. You did just say you killed someone."

I roll my eyes.

"Use it on me," Nate volunteers.

Murrow and Karl shake their heads and mutter "crazy" under their breath. I know Nate trusts me and I'm not surprised he'd be the one to step up to be tested.

I try to bring forth my gift, but nothing happens. I try again. Nothing.

Murrow looks over to Nate, and grins. "Looks like she has the gift of concentration."

My annoyance flares, and my gift surfaces. Nate turns and slaps Murrow across the face.

"Hey!" Murrow shouts.

I close off Nate's throat, and he frantically grabs at his neck. Karl and Murrow's eyes dart between us, and I can see they are full of confusion. When Nate begins to turn red, I release him.

He hunches over and coughs, trying to regain air back into his lungs. "Shit, Vera. What the hell did you just do to me?"

"I can control you."

"That was what you did to him?" Murrow gulps.

"Can you imagine all that I'm capable of now?"

Understanding passes over their faces.