Chapter Twenty Five-Vera

The Violet Guard waits for our movement with thousands of arrows, all with sharpened points, ready to be unleashed. Silent Watchers stand in formation behind me, the bright sky illuminating their red masks. Today's the day blood will be shed.

Silence fills the horizon where thousands of assassins transform the silence to fear. I attempt to grab the minds of the enemy's archers across the distance that separates us, but it's too far. Bringing my fist up in the air, I signal thousands of shields up, a crisp coordinated motion creating a sound that echoes off into the distance. With a slight rotation of my fist, we move.

We move as one, a sea of red and black, as if we are one mind instead of many. Right legs move in unison, and then left legs. With each step the sound of boots on the frozen ground is like the warning thunder of a coming storm. Their masks block the frigid wind from the grim faces I know are behind them.

I grab hold of my Warriors Necklace, and kiss the grey stones for encouragement. After I talked with my sister, I realized how important this mission will be. Bringing her to Kgar could very well give me the chance to escape with Zyrik and leave the king's crudeness far behind. If he's going to war for her, then her gift is obviously stronger than mine.

As I predicted, a rain of arrows showers over us. I hear their thuds as they bounce off assassin shields. I've brought mine up in time to catch the force of arrow after arrow.

"Ladders!" I yell. "Catapults!

The assassins part, revealing large barbaric siege weapons. It takes many assassins to push them forward.

The scaling ladders run ahead of us and Violet Guards take aim. Arrows pierce assassins, but others readily take their place, and our force continues strong.

My gift rumbles beneath my skin, eager to be unleashed. As we march closer, I feel my mind beginning to lock onto theirs. Not wasting a single second, I latch onto those heartbeats that wear the silver tree emblem, and crush them.

Hundreds of men drop like flies, dead before they hit the ground. I center my energy quickly when more archers take their place, and I lash out again. This time, it's the sound of bones cracking that fills the cold silent air.

"Release!"

Massive stones soar through the air and shake their walls. The catapults creak under the pressure, and assassins quickly place the next stones. There's still more to be done.

The battering ram is assembled, and I send it to the gate. I prevent the Violet Guard from taking the men down. This moment is the test of my reborn magic. It has yet to waver against my continuous use. They hit strong, then retrace their steps to repeat.

"Release the Keppers!"

Captain Leech whistles a high-pitched tone, and the ferocious birds of prey echo back in a matching pitch. Soon, Keppers are casting shadows over us as they fly over and sweep through those archers yet out of my range. The Kepper's talons are outstretched, inflicting damage. Painful cries confirm they've hit their mark.

Men rush up the ladders and battle ensues atop the wall. It's only a matter of time before it continues on down the other side.

"Commander, look!"

Nate points to a large crack in the wooden gate. We wait in anticipation, until under pressure the gate gives way. Their guards are ready on the other side, slicing through our men. I push them back with my gift and let my men tear down the rest of the gate.

Thousands of Silent Watchers pour into the city. I maneuver Provena through them, casting my gift out, blinding their guards. My men cut them down quickly, and move on. I finally get ahead of my men and the sound of Provena's hooves hitting the cobblestones is like hammers on an anvil. My friends follow close behind me.