Chapter Eighteen- Livia

Scholar Eli introduces many books to me over the next few days. I find it interesting how the healing gift is able to sustain the lives of kings and queens, extending their rule. This has meant they've been able to have many more children, who've also inherited the Guardian's gift.

When I ask Scholar Eli about it, he says there were over a hundred descendants who had the gift at one time. Status determined the strength of their gift. The oldest could heal an entire village in one day, while the youngest could only mend minor cuts and bruises.

However, I search in vain to uncover anything on the golden mirror. No mention of strange dreams or the visitation of a separate world can be found in anything I read.

These last two nights I've stood again in front of the golden mirror, seeing but unable to communicate with my sister. I try to read her lips when she speaks, but it is near to impossible to piece it all together. It is beyond frustrating. Especially since I know the Silent Watchers are marching this way. Does she know about me? Does she know she is about to kill her own people?

"It will be curious to see if any of the lost plants and beasts will return now that the balance of magic has awoken," Scholar Eli proclaims.

I look over and see a colorful painting of a Shicat, a magical creature that resembles a small cream-colored house cat with long pointy ears, tipped black. Small black spots cover a Shicat's legs and paws, making it easier to distinguish between these beautiful creatures. And with the simple sound of their purr, they can put you into a deep slumber.

"Oh, I hope so."

Eli turns the page to show a ferocious Berwhol. The creature is the size of two giant bears put together, with a long, golden horn upon its head.

"Or perhaps, maybe not all of them need to come back," I quickly add.

"We can only hope they don't all come back, princess. We are lucky only the Keppers survived by staying in the mountains. But the plant life would be more than welcomed. I know your mother would have loved it."

"What do you mean?"

"Queen Kyra loved plant life. She was always freshening the castle with all sorts of beautiful flowers. Your father even had a garden made for her very own."

I remember when Uncle Grif told me of the garden she'd had in the North. A gentle smile graces my lips.

"Scholar Eli, can I ask you something?"

The light from above illuminates his tired, worn face. "But, of course."

"Have you ever come across anything about a golden mirror?"

His expression turns suspicious. He snaps the book in front of him closed, giving me his undivided attention.

"How do you know about this golden mirror?"

"I overheard someone mention it, and it sounded interesting," I lie.

I know he can see straight through me, but his experience dances on his lips, and he proceeds to share his knowledge.

"The golden mirror is an ancient piece of magic. It was used many, many years ago; it was a magical object given to the first king. It is said that a king could communicate through it, that time did not exist when he used it. The golden mirror was stolen after Queen Bellflower's disappearance. A war almost broke out because of the theft, as the alliances between the kingdoms were already fragile with the magic gone, but the rulers decided it wasn't worth destroying the kingdoms over it. No one ever found it, and no one has seen it since."