nineteen.

Juanita held the phone to her ear while continuously looking over her shoulder. She wanted to make sure Hermione kept Harley busy while she had an important phone call.

"Hello?" The masculine voice spoke into the phone. Juanita's heart fluttered as tears filled her brown eyes.

"Is this Keon Matthews?" She asked before nibbling at her bottom lip. Thunder erupted into the air as the dark clouds slowly formed over the sky.

"Yes. Who's this?"

"Juanita...Juanita Vega."

"Tía, how does this look?" Harley questioned while standing in front of her full-length mirror. She was wearing a black sundress with her sides visible.

"You look good girl!" Hermione exclaimed while fluffing Harley's high ponytail.

"Good." She let out a long sigh. "Because I'm so nervous."

"Why? You just goin' to his grandmother's house." Hermione shrugged.

"Yeah but this is my first time having a real conversation with his parents. And it's a barbecue. Everyone is gonna be there."

"What are you so worried about? You're Harley fuckin' Daniels! Your mother and I, we ain't raise no punk! We can handle anything okay?" Hermione asked. Harley nodded her head before grabbing her purse. She wanted to have the same confidence that her aunt had.

"So what the fuck are you saying Juanita? That Hermione was right? I have a daughter?!" Keon yelled into the phone. Tears ran down Juanita's face as she heard him yelling on the other end.

"I'm sorry Keon! I didn't know what to do. I was afraid to tell y-"

"We need to talk in person. Now!"

She nodded her head as if he could see her. "Okay. I'll send you my address."

She quickly hung up the phone once she heard footsteps approaching her. She turned around and saw Hermione and Harley entering the kitchen.

"You look gorgeous mija!" Juanita cooed before planting a kiss on her cheek.

"Stop I'm not a little girl anymore." Harley laughed. She noticed her mother's red eyes and became worried. "Have you been crying? Is everything okay?"

"Yes. I was just cutting so many onions and they were fresh." She lied, glancing over at Hermione who knew something was up. "You got everything? Your toothbrush, toothpaste, pajamas, condoms-"

"Mama!" Harley yelled while Hermione laughed.

"What? Just making sure." Juanita laughed before they heard a knock on the front door. "It must be Hassan."

Butterflies appear at the pit of Harley's stomach as she walked towards the front door. She was spending the entire weekend with him and his family whom she hadn't met yet. She finally opened the door before Hassan came into view, wearing a white V-neck and denim jeans.