(Clara x R!Engineer) #3

I had set up almost everything perfectly. Logs sat comfortably around a giant campfire, a few grills set to the side next to half a dozen coolers filled with soda, beer and meat. A small playpen sat next to the logs but away from the fire for Stella and the RED Spy's little one, and blankets were neatly folded away in case anyone got cold. Dell came out shortly after with a boom box and things to make s'mores. I was hunched over the fire pit attempting to ignite the flames when he arrived.

"Need some help with that, Clara?" He chuckled, setting his things down. He knew not to use my name around the others. Only when we were alone.

"If you would." I sat back, huffing in frustration. He smiled, taking the lighter from me and setting some of the kindling alight.

"That aughta do it." He chuckled, taking a seat on one of the logs.

"Thanks, Dell." I smiled, getting up to start the grills. The engineer sat back, pulling out his guitar and strumming a few chords. I looked at him curiously. "I didn't know you played." I mused, stepping away from the grills to sit next to him.

He blushed, turning away from me. "Yeah. Ah haven't had much of a chance too with all the fightin' lately."

"Well, you have plenty a' time to now. I told everyone to be here at 8. It's just getting to be 6." My own southern accent was just starting to come through.

"Ya mind if ah ask you a few questions, Clara?" He tilted his head at me, watching as my eyes watched the fire.

"Anythin' ya like."

"How'd ya get here?"

"Well..." she started, leaning forward a bit," I grew up on a ranch in a small town in Kansas. Lost my ma and pa and my older brother in a barn fire when I was 16. Sold what was left of the ranch and moved down tah Oklahoma with my cousins. That's where I started training tah be an assassin. Moved here tah New Mexico when I turned 22. Worked as a kill for hire for a few years before I got a call from Mann Co."

"All y'all ladies seem to have such tragic backstories." Dell thought aloud. "Angel was imprisoned and used her whole life, Stella was abused and blind, and Kanga was used for spell testing." He scoffed.

"My story ain't all bad. My parents weren't exactly the greatest, but I loved them all the same. I grew up with good morals and a healthy support system. I learned to be tough...analytical. Everything has a process and a pattern. I guess that's why you caught my eye."

"What do ya mean?" He questioned, moving closer.

"You don't have a set pattern. You do something different every day. The others are predictable. I know where they are and what their doing, but you...I can never tell what you're gonna do. Some days you come and set up a little nest and stick nearby. Other times you run in guns blazing! It's fascinating." I laughed, finally turning away from the fire to look at him.

He chuckled deeply, his chest rumbling. The sound sent shivers down my back. "Well ah'll take that as a compliment. Ya know...Ah think ah may have figured out what's been distractin' me on the field." He strummed a few chords on his guitar, turning back to the fire.

"Oh? And what would that be?" I asked curiously, searching his face.

He smirked, a deep blush covering his face. "You, darlin. Ah just can't seem tah get ya off mah mind."

I was a little surprised, my eyes widening a bit at his confession. "I didn't know you had feelings for me." I said finally, a small smile playing at my lips.

"Ah don't mind if ya don't feel the same. Ah just couldn't keep hold of it anymore...I admire ya miss Clara."

I smiled, placing a hand gently on his arm. "I...I accept your confession. I'll admit, you've infatuated me since the moment I saw you. I can't deny the feelings I've developed for you as well, Dell."

"Well, then why not make it official?"

"And how do you suggest we do that?" I asked with a teasing smirk.

"Like this..." he leaned forward, cupping my cheek in his hand and placing a gentle kiss to my soft lips. My eyes widened in surprise for a moment before closing and melting into his touch, my hands resting against his chest. I slowly broke the kiss, looking up at him with stars in my eyes.

"Wow..." i whispered.

"Yer mine now, sugar cube." He purred slightly, pressing another kiss to my forehead. "And ah won't let anybody hurt ya."

------------

(3rd person POV)

The rest of the night was filled with laughing and bonding from both teams. Clara and Jeremy gently played with baby Sophia while Stella and Red Spy spent some quality time together. Everyone was getting along perfectly.

As the moon began to lower back into the horizon, one by one, everyone left for their own bases, leaving with kind farewells. Clara cradled Sophia in her arms and walked inside while her parents enjoyed each other's company by the dying fire. Jeremy took the little girl from Clara's arms to put her in bed and Clara joined Dell on the rec room couch.

"Having' a party like that was a good idea. Ah've never seen everybody get along so well!" Dell mused, wrapping an arm over Clara's shoulders. She leaned into him, resting her head on his shoulder.

"I'm glad everyone had fun..." she yawned softly, pulling a blanked over her shivering form. "But I am exhausted..."

"Well ya did set up nearly every thin' by yerself. And ya spent most of the night with the little one. Not to mention the fact that yer still recoverin' from that injury. You should get some rest." He carefully stood, picking her up in his arms and carrying her away.

"Where are you taking me?" She asked sleepily.

"I'm taking ya tah mah room." He said with a deep laugh.

"Don't try anythin' funny, mister. I'm not that easy." She warned.

"Don't worry, darlin'. If I wanted that, I'd go hang out with Scout." They both giggled at his little joke. "Nah, Ah just don't want ya waking up sore from sleepin' on the couch. Plus, Ah like tah cuddle."

"Well you're lucky, cuz I do too." She yawned, snuggling into his chest.

They fell asleep soundly, wrapped in other's arms. Their soft snoring filled the room. And finally, after so many years...

The base finally felt like home.