Chapter one- the whispers in dreams will soon turn to screams

"Look," growled the reddish brown she-cat with yellow eyes. "We're going to spar with Galepaw and Ravenpaw today." Silentpaw, the lean, long-legged ghostly gray she-cat with faint, black streaks of fur stared at the two toms with wide eyes. The two toms snarled, wrestling in the dirt, shredded grass spraying around them, a cloud of dust consuming them both.

Ravenpaw was a black tom with blue eyes, and Galepaw was a gray tabby tom with yellow eyes. And both of them were big, being ten moons old. Silentpaw was only seven moons old, which means she'd only had a moon of training. Sure, she sparred before, but only with Heatherpaw and Birchpaw, her adopted littermates. They were pretty much the exact same age, size, and skill level as her.

"Is that really wise? Galepaw and Ravenpaw are a lot older than her," asked Mistfeather, padding up to them. The silver she-cat with black stripes blinked her concerned green eyes. "Maybe she should start with Littlepaw instead? I'm sure she'd rather spar with Silentpaw then pick ticks off the elders." Silentpaw felt anger replace her initial shock of being told she was going to fight the older toms. I can take them! Bloodfang has already taught me a lot of battle moves!

"Of course it's wise," Bloodfang snapped. "She has to learn eventually, that fights aren't usually fair. Littlepaw would be a decently fair fight, considering she's only a moon older then Silentpaw."

"Still, a moon is a lot," Mistfeather persisted. She was the mentor of Galepaw, but was training both the toms today. Probably because Cedarfur is off hunting for his pregnant mate, Quickflash, again. Silentpaw felt a twinge of jealousy as she imagined their kits. Those kits will have both a mother and a father. Unlike me.

Her mother was dead. Nobody knew who her father was. Bloodfang's snarl sucked her out of her thoughts before she could start moping. She was facing Mistfeather, claws unsheathed. "Silentpaw will fight Galepaw and Ravenpaw. Have you forgotten I'm part of the Inner Circle?"

"And have you forgotten I am Froststar's mate?" Mistfeather snapped. "Don't try and threaten me, and put your claws away." Bloodfang opened her mouth to respond, but Mistfeather was turning away. "Galepaw, Ravenpaw, that's enough. Come here," she called. The toms broke apart. Silentpaw glanced at her mentor, pride filling her body. Bloodfang was one of the best warriors ThunderClan had. She was part of Froststar's Inner Circle, which meant she outranked everyone but Froststar himself and the deputy, Shadeblossom. She was allowed to lead any patrol, organize group training sessions, and the best part: venture out of ThunderClan territory. Once I'm a warrior, I'll challenge one of the other warriors in the Inner Circle. I'll beat them, and help serve Froststar along side Bloodfang.

Galepaw and Ravenpaw stood at attention, fur ruffled and even ripped out in patches. Both toms were breathing hard. "According to Bloodfang here, you will be sparring with Silentpaw today," Mistfeather said.

"Seriously? She's like, what, seven moons old?" Galepaw questioned.

"What, afraid to fight a seven moon old apprentice?" Bloodfang snapped.

"Of course not," Galepaw scoffed.

"Okay then. Ravenpaw, Silentpaw, get in the clearing," Bloodfang commanded. Both apprentices stepped into the sandy hollow, getting into a defensive crouch, eyeing each other. Galepaw slipped past Ravenpaw, whispering,

"Don't let a seven moon old apprentice beat you." Ravenpaw snorted.

"There's no way she can beat me, Galepaw." Anger flared up inside Silentpaw. How dare they underestimate me! Not waiting for Bloodfang's command to start, Silentpaw sprang at Ravenpaw with a yowl. Surprised, he tumbled backwards with a thump as Silentpaw landed on top of him. Yes! In a heartbeat Ravenpaw twisted, throwing Silentpaw off. Remembering her training, she rolled to the side, barely missing Ravenpaw's outstretched claws. He's training with his claws out! Silentpaw knew this was allowed, but, only among more experienced apprentices.