Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Ilayda recoiled when William tried to grab her arm. She seemed adamant on not leaving her territory but William persisted on.

Before the man had time to reach for her again, the girl threw her basket to his face and ran. Taipa reared in surprise of the sudden outburst and flailed her front legs out. William avoided these at the cost of losing his footing. He fell back and brushed the flowers and fallen petals off of himself. The man searched the trees until he saw a flash of white dashing over leaves. She was farther than he thought was possible but he did not have the time to reflect on it. He simply grabbed for Taipa’s reins and ran her in that direction.

The mare cantered beside her rider, and being the smart horse that she is, she slowed and stopped for William to climb up. Once he was safely seated, she galloped faster than she had done before with William.

The young man held on tight, the horse’s swiftness alarming his senses. When he felt used to the pace, he turned his eyes to the trees again, looking for the Fallen Angel.

She ran not too far ahead, the distance between them closing as the two neared. She was quick-footed, more nimble than any Human he had ever seen run. Her white dress thrashed behind her, still unstained by any grime, even as her feet splashed in puddles from the rain a few days ago.

The girl sensed their closeness and veered to the right, trying to catch them off guard. Taipa slowed and turned her direction. William held close to her body, afraid she would fall but she was hastily back on root as if she enjoyed the chase.

Ilayda’s person disappeared from view behind a tree. The man saw her arms grab a branch and start to climb. He pulled back on Taipa’s reins, slowing her down before he jumped off her still speeding form.

As William tumbled to the ground, he heard his wrist crack. He pushed himself up with his left arm and held his right arm to his chest.

He considered his options for a quick moment as he watched the elusive girl climb. He could try and scramble up behind her and take the chances of the branches holding his weight. The problem would be his wrist paining him more and the girl had more advantage.

Contrariwise, she had no other trees to climb over to. The next branch was too far for her to jump. Though she was out of his reach, she was trapped.

Ilayda had obviously figured out too little too late her predicament. She hit her head against the trunk of the tree and sat on a thicker branch, looking down on her pursuer.

“It seems we are both caught by ourselves,” shouted William. He got off his knees and brushed the dirt from his pants. Taipa trotted back to her rider and nuzzled his shoulder.

“It does seem that, but things can always change.”

“How do you consider that?”

“Well firstly,” the young girl started. “You have injured yourself. You must get attention for your wrist.” William massaged his joint and squinted up into the trees. She was not wrong but he could put off treatment until she had to climb down.

“It can wait.”

“And what of food? Your mare surely must need food. I can tell she is a spirited one when not fed properly.” William looked at Taipa and shrugged. She had a justifiable point.

“She has food in her pack. Are you not worried of your own sustenance needs?”

“I can fast longer than you would think."

“So we truly are caught by ourselves.”

“It looks that way.” The young girl smiled and brushed her black hair behind her ears. Her face tried not to reveal fading courage she felt.