Chapter 34

Chapter 34

The Faerie gathering was held in the only room above ground that Ceilidh possessed. To Humans, it was another wave of the mountain. To Fae, it was a place you wished never to be.

The Four sat around a smooth and lavishly decorated marble table. Their thrones were carved from the floor to curve behind the Assembly members’ wings contentedly. Orlaith along with Slone, leader of all Trooping Fae, drew their limbs in for the occasion. Golden veins curled on the Fae woman’s shoulders while the other Faerie was decorated with menacing black lightning. His silver eyes looked Evera over several times throughout the council.

Taneisha, the tan-skinned Sealy member, began by asking Evera to tell all that has happened. Of course, this was all ceremonial as the Four knew all that took place. Each necklace was connected by the power of God and all things happening to Evera was felt from the jewels. Embarrassment caused Evera to look down. Every emotion was felt, including the love and lust between her and William.

“Do not be ashamed,” Taneisha purred, smiling at the youngest necklace possessor. “Fae and Humans are drawn to each other. It is why we hide from them.” A glance at Elish did not go unnoticed by Evera.

“If I may, how is it I cannot feel what you feel?” The Unseelie girl felt her wings tremor with uncertainty at the boldness of her asking.

“Ceilidh is a sacred place,” Orlaith explained, her words as soft as the way she spoke them. “Here we are safe from any harm that could befall us. God protects this place. It is His gift to the Fae.”

“Outside Ceilidh, danger awaits.” Slone leaned forward. His voice dripped with a sharpness Evera couldn’t quite understand. “If one leaves here, we would need to know of their well-being. And your well-being my dear was quite… interesting.”

Taneisha cleared her throat. After a stare of intensity, Slone sat back in his silver throne. The Sealy continued.

“We are glad you are safe.”

A knock on the rounded door, brought Evera a respite. Siyanda, the Fae girl that helped prepare her, waddled in the entrance behind her. Her eyes were wide filled with secrets and joy as she whispered to Elish, too quiet for the Evera to understand. When he nodded his approval, she walked out with delight in her steps and flashed the dark-haired beauty a reassuring smile.

“Is there anything else you wished to know?” Taneisha raised herself to her feet, the others following. With hesitation, Evera stumbled out her words.

“Am I… punished?”

The four High Assembly members shook their heads. Evera sighed in relief. She ran her cold hands over her heated face and smiled. The concern quickly returned, however, for the Four held grave expressions on their faces.

“At least, not by the Fae commandments,” Elish replied. The young Unseelie looked at her necklace’s previous owner. His wings were folded threateningly behind his square shoulders. Like any of their court, his skin was pale and Evera could tell it would be cold to the touch. “Seeing as this is…unusual, we were forced to call upon those above.”

Evera’s shoulders dropped. Any tint she had received during the days above ground was wiped free of her face. Now she knew the reasoning for Siyanda’s untimely entrance. As the doors opened behind her chair, her breathing grew uneven. A soft light filled the room and brought forth the one thing she feared above all others.

“Angels...”

Michael, Uriel, and Sandalphon. Three Angels. Three of the thousands that flew in the gates of Heaven. Those three were of the highest regarded Angels and they were there to discipline Evera.