Chapter 28

Chapter 28

When dawn started to speckled light over the tree tops, Evera roused her fellow travelers. Ilayda gathered herself quickly and readied Taipa. A mien of infuriation crossed her face every time William glanced to see her. After wiping the sleep from their eyes, they set off in the direction the earth conveyed, keeping their worries hidden from each other.

Ilayda was not as cheerful as she was on her trip to Morag. She had become closed off, hardly speaking a word to either of the two. William tried to apologize but the only remarks she could reply were curt and using the word Master as if it were distasteful to her tongue.

Evera stayed quiet as well but William did not worry much over her calm. He was used to her stubborn silence and strong will. If she needed something to say, she would not hesitate to speak her mind.

The trio continued on the path for many a night and day. As each day pass, Ilayda became quieter and less hostile. Her eyes still held more contempt for William which made the young man disheartened. He had started to think her someone to look after. He never had siblings but he felt she was the closest to kinship he would ever have. To his dismay, she was starting to reject him for aiding her when she was fallen over.

On the fifth night of their travels, William let Evera lean on his chest while Ilayda sat quietly on the other side of the campfire, staring at fire. The young Angel was paler than usual, with her eyes loosing the passion they once held. He had not used his commanding power over her but still she kept shy of him. He nudged Evera away from his chest and gestured to the fire.

“I think this may need more kindling. Why—“

“I’ll go.” Ilayda was on her feet before he could finish.

“No,” William replied, a little louder than necessary. Both women looked at him mystified. “Ilayda, I want you to stay.” The girl threw her hands out and up in frustration. She sat down with the impudence of a child and huffed out a muffled remark William was sure was an insult.

 “Yes, Master.”

William exchanged pleading glances with Evera before the young Fae stood and started into the forest. The man looked at the disgruntled Angel before him and spoke strongly his thoughts.

“You will listen to my words. Is that clear?” Ilayda scoffed at William but did as she was told.

“Yes, Master. I do as you command.”

“I am sorry. I did not mean to touch you. I was helping you up, you do realize that?” The young man waited for an answer. Ilayda did not seem too keen on telling the truth but being of Angel’s blood, she had no choice. After a long pause, she nodded solemnly.

“Yes.” Effort of control was heard in her voice.

“Then why do you feel such anger towards me?”

Ilayda took deep breaths. The air between them was still until William could hardly hear he hum of animals from expectancy. Her eyes glistened with restrained tears before she explained.

“Each time a Fallen Angel is touched by a Human, they must do as they are told for nine days. The Holy number Nine. As you are well aware, I have no choice but to obey your command.” Her eyes reddened and tears trickled down her cheeks silently. The young girl nervously played with the ends of her black shimmering hair. “What most people are not told…”

Evera walked back with a few branches and sticks for the fire. Her face held sympathy and regret. Evera started the rhyme she learned from her readings during her days at the sickbay.