Chapter 35

Chapter 35

When Evera had found William in his chair, she had taken his hand at once and pulled him out of the eerily calm city. They had climbed the same stairs they had come down with the matching amount of gawking children that had looked upon them when they had first entered. The beautifully dressed woman ran through and over the jungle’s twisting roots. She wrenched William most of the time through, for the scene continued to enchant him.

Coming to the tunnel in which they had descended Evera held her hand over the earthy, root covered wall. She muttered Fae words again, bringing this time a ladder of vines for their escape to the world above. They were safely in the cover of the ancient woodlands before speaking.

“What happens…,” William started with panting breath. “When they find… you have left?”

“They already know.” Her pale hand went to hold her necklace as she drew in her wings. The sensation shivered her body but nonetheless she felt more serene to be in her natural form. Green eyes closed as the numbness of the world returned with her staggering breath. Even so, the significance of the past few hours waved over her and collided in her thoughts like raging waves of a storming ocean. “I am not wor—I am not sca—I…” Evera swallowed with a dry throat.

“I thought Fae could not lie?” William wrapped his arms around her, enjoying that her wings were not in the way. Her exposed back felt cool against his hands and her curled hair was a perfect place for his cheek to rest. “And it is not wrong to feel afraid.”

“But I am wrong…” She pushed her hands lightly on his chest and sighed trying to release his embrace. The young man refused to let go. “Fae are meant to follow Fate. It’s who we are. We do not live like Angels, but that is who we have descended from. We were the forgotten ones, left on Earth when God closed the Gates of Saint Peter. It is why we cannot lie, why we are strong, why we have lives longer and younger than Humans.”

William took in the words she spoke. His mind began to haze as he grasped at the knowledge. He had known she was not Human, but never would he have guessed the creature who stood before him was once an Angel. William shook his head and tightened his grip affectionately.

“But why keep from us? What do Faeries fear from living among Humans?”

“We live in hiding as to not breed. Halflings inherit the Fae power, the Human emotions. How easily can you hold all emotions back?”

William held her while she explained all. He could see Evera’s argument. If his anger over powered him with all the Faerie strength, he would be fearful of the following events as well.

“I wish this would have been the beginning of love, not the start of a war,” whispered Evera. Her lover pulled back his face and kissed her forehead.

“Why can our love not outshine…that? As long as I am alive, I will love you.” He unwrapped his right arm from her waist and bent down. William lifted her legs from the ground and held her like the bride he wished her to be. His face leaned into hers as he whispered, “I promise.”

Evera’s hand slid to pull his face to hers. Her lips parted with intent to speak softly her love for him, but words failed. In this moment, it was not a lie that rejected her mutterings, but an unspoken bond. William and Evera would forever be joined in destinies and the young Fae knew that. Her love would be spoken without necessity.

William lied down with his love and sealed his vow with a tender kiss. Evera listened to his heartbeat as her ear rested upon his chest. Staying silent but passionate, the two were swallowed by their affections for each other. They did stir from their tangled rest until Evera’s heightened ears heard footsteps approaching.