PART TWENTY-ONE

(This is now 100 google doc pages long. Fear me, mortals. Some Stucky fluff in this chapter cause they deserve it after me building up Bucky's pain the whole fucking book. You may have noticed, but I'm trying to update this and make it more aesthetic. I redid the cover and I'll probably add pictures and maybe playlists at the end.)

- Tony -

Tony picked at the metal shell he brought back from the fight. Next to him, Bruce did the same thing with the head of another bot.

"Anything?" Bruce yawned into his sweater sleeve. It was around 2 AM after the fight. Tony was going to send Bruce to bed, but he just needed a minute more...

"Wait a sec," Tony managed to pry open his piece with a metal tool. He ran his finger over the inside. "I'm in."

"Tony," Bruce groaned at Tony being a general annoyance.

"Someone put their name inside it," Tony said, squinting at a label engraved inside it. He pulled up a magnifying screen on the desk and got a closer look. "Shit."

"What is it?" Bruce sleepily looked up.

"Hammer Industries," he sat back in his chair. "Do you know what this means?"

"Yes?" Bruce didn't know what that meant.

"Banner?" Thor poked his blonde head in the lab. "You haven't come in for the night."

Bruce groggily lifted his head off the desk. "Yeah, yeah, I'm-" he yawned and stretched like a kitten. Thor smiled fondly at him and Tony rolled his eyes. He was sick of people being couple-y, even if they technically weren't a couple. 

"G'night, Tony," Bruce said, Thor putting an arm around him and leading him back to their room.

Tony waved in his general direction then picked up a StarkPad with the magnifying feature and the piece of the Clint-called Doom-bot. He headed out as well.

Maria Hill, who Tony knew the name of from Sam mentioning her, was the only staff member out at this time. She apparently was night patrol.

"Can't it wait, Stark?" She asked, looking up from her computer.

"Well, yeah, but I'm here now, so guess what?"

She glared at him. "What is it?"

Tony pulled up the magnification app and showed her the logo on the robot. "This is a piece off the Doom-bot-"

"That's what we're calling it?"

"Hey, blame Clint," he cleared his throat. "Anyway, you know that means Justin Hammer was supplying Schmidt and Doom and this Batroc character?" Everyone mentioned, except for Hammer was caught and being sent to the Cube, a super-secure SHIELD base turned into a prison for all the caught baddies. Apparently when Hank Pym first became Ant-Man, there was a breakout, but they probably fixed whatever went wrong. Probably.

"It could mean that they got it from the actual Hammer, his dad, but that is more likely," Hill agreed. "We need to investigate more."

"Ask Clint and Natasha. At an Avengers meeting, we told them to look into him, so maybe they have information."

"Thanks, Tony." Maria looked up at him from behind the desk. "Now get some sleep."

Reluctantly Tony trudged to bed, dragging his feet. He wanted to find out more on Hammer or maybe upgrade something on his suit or on Vision, but orders were orders.

When he got to his room, he managed to close the door without waking Rhodey. Not even bothering to change his clothes, he flopped on his bed and almost instantly fell asleep.