Chapter 1

I was walking through the woods, on a cold winter day. The ground was covered in a beautiful white sheet of snow that glistened like a thousand diamonds under the blistering sun. Though the sun was bright and it was a cloudless day, it did nothing to warm up the empty woods around me.

I shivered, it wasn't the smartest idea I've ever had. Running away from home, taking nothing with me but the clothes on my back-and that includes no jacket or shoes-in the dead of winter. Living in Maine in the winter time seemed like you were willing to let the cold kill you, and at the rate I was going, that's exactly what would happen to me.

I wrapped my arms around myself, trying to remain warm. What was I thinking, running away from home at a time like this? I could have just waited for winter to be over and let the summer heat up the earth and it would have been much better.

In my heart I know that's a lie. Had I stayed home I would have killed myself. Not only that, summers weren't always much better than the winter. The summertime heat wasn't always blistering, but when it was you couldn't even find shade cool enough to keep you alive. Plus with the heat you were bound to get dehydrated. On top of that the nights got cold just as well. At least in the winter time you had snow to use as water. The only thing you couldn't do was find shelter warm enough, or even food that you didn't have to kill or wasn't already frozen!

Winter in Maine was the worst for a person like myself. Sure you had deer, but I am a vegetarian. There was nothing in the woods but meat to eat. I was going to die.

At least I knew that. At least I knew of my fate. It wasn't like I wasn't already aware of what might happen to me. On top of that, I knew what would become of my dead body. Animals would eat it for food, and come summertime, there would be nothing left of me. No one would know what ever happened to poor Elizabeth Marie Folten. Of course that was no longer my name. If I were to survive in the world as a runaway I'd have to change my name.

By now, my parents would be awake and cooking breakfast. Mom would go up to my room to wake me up and would find my room empty and my cell phone sitting on the bedside table where I always left it. She would think I was somewhere else in the house and go search for me, but of course I wouldn't be anywhere. She would run and tell my dad that I was missing and call the cops. Of course it wouldn't be until later when they check my phone that they will find my note I left for my parents telling them that I was leaving and never coming back.

It would be just as well. I needed them to give me time to get away before they send out the search party.

I looked down at my numb feet. They looked like cherry tomatoes, all red and slightly swollen, unable to contain any heat in this freezing daylight. I shivered and wrapped my arms around myself, feeling the goose bumps along my arms. My breath came out in puffs of smoke, I smiled as I remembered being a kid in the wintertime. It was always fun, my friends and I would pretend we were smoking and blow out hot air from our mouths. Our mouths would make the shape of a circle and we would try and see who could pull off looking like a smoker. Of course, my dad smokes so it was easy for me to mimic what I saw back then.

I rounded my mouth into a circle and blew. The smoke would swirl in the wind and I giggled, just like a little kid.

I sighed and looked around before sitting down by a tree and pulling my legs up to my chest and sighing. Why did I run away? Why did I do it now? In the wintertime? Of course I knew the answer.

Mom and Dad were always fighting, and on top of that my grandparents-who I cannot stand-are moving in with us. My brother and his girlfriend already took over my life and the last thing I need was for my judgmental grandparents telling me how stupid and fat I was.

Of course I knew I wasn't stupid nor fat. However, I was stupid for running away in the wintertime.

I sighed and blew on my hands. I had nothing now, and I was perfectly fine with that. Who needed shelter from the harsh weather in Maine? Who needed a coat to keep you nice and warm when you felt like you were going to freeze to death? Not me. I was tough, I would survive.

"God dammit!" I screamed out loud. I was cold, and I knew it would kill me.

A squirrel running by stopped to look at me then quickly scurried away. Its fluffy tail wagging along behind it.

I frowned and watched the squirrel, "Gee, thanks. Couldn't even keep me company?"

I sighed, great, now I'm yelling at animals. They probably think I'm insane. I think I'm insane.

I heard shuffling to my left and I looked around trying to discover what was making the noise. I froze when my eyes landed on the frightening sight.

Fur, white as the snow underneath me. Looking soft and warm, wishing I could run my hands through the pale white coat.

Eyes, piercing right through my body and into my soul. So blue against the white it made my whole body shiver with a feeling that scared me.

Legs, long and elegant, made for running fast chasing after its prey.

Tail, long and fluffy, almost giving it an innocent look.

Claws, meant to shred open its prey, to wound the poor animals so they couldn't get away from the majestic beast.

Teeth, long and sharp meant for tearing into the flesh of its prey, strong jaws holding those teeth could tear through almost anything.

This wasn't a creature I should be facing head on. This was a creature I should be running away from. This, was a white wolf.

The wolf stared at me, watching my every move, trying to decipher if I was to be allowed to live or if it should pounce and kill me now. I continued to sit in one spot, watching the wolf as well, trying to figure out its moves.

It took a tentative step toward me, its muscles rippling throughout its whole body. It leaned its head down toward me and sniffed my hand. Reflexes told me to quickly move my hand away and run away screaming. However, instinct told me as long as the wolf didn't see me as a threat he wouldn't kill.

He looked up at me again and then curled up beside me, pressing his body against mine to give me warmth. I gasped and looked at the wolf confused. He looked at me and cocked his head to the side almost as if asking why I was confused.

I smiled, "Thanks for warming me up, Wolf."

He growled at me and shook his head.

I laughed, "Alright, shall we find a name for you or do you already have one?"

He got back up and started pacing, almost as if he was trying to figure out how to communicate with me. A raven squawked overhead and I looked up and smiled, "Beautiful raven."

He barked and looked at me nodding his head.

I frowned, "Beautiful Raven your name?"

He shook his head again and then barked up at the raven.

"Oh, Raven?"

He nodded.

I smiled, "Well, okay, Raven. That's a pretty names."

He glared at me and I smiled. I started to shiver again and wrapped my arms around myself, "I'd give anything to have fur like you, Raven."

Raven walked back over to me and laid right on top of me. He was heavy and I started to squirm, "Raven! You are so heavy!"

He grunted and quickly moved off my lap before curling up against me again.

I looked at Raven and ran my fingers through his fur. He looked at me with his shocking blue eyes. Why did his eyes make me feel like he was striping me from my body exposing my soul? I shook my head and looked down.

Raven put his head on my lap and closed his eyes. I smiled and leaned my head back against the tree and closed my eyes as well. I was so tired. I didn't get an ounce of sleep last night. Maybe I could sleep...