Chapter 7

I looked at the two boys and bit my bottom lip. River’s leg was injured pretty badly, and Raven’s neck was scratched a bit. I closed my eyes and tried to keep myself from crying. I felt so bad. If it wasn’t for me, they would never have gotten hurt. It was because they were protecting me-trying to help me-that they got hurt. It was all my fault. No one else was to blame. Not Raven’s mother. Not Raven. Not River. Me. That’s all the mattered. They were going to hate me.

  I opened my eyes and saw River was looking at me. He transformed into a human and winced a bit as he looked down at his leg. The cut wasn’t as bad as it looked while he was a wolf, but it was still bad. It was deep and still bleeding. I bit my lip again as I looked up at River’s face.

  He smiled, “I’m okay.”

  I shook my head, “No you’re not. Don’t lie.”

  He sighed, “Okay, it hurts, but I’ve been in worse situations before than this.”

  “River, I am so sorry. If it wasn’t for the fact that you needed to help me get out of the woods you would never have gotten hurt.”

  River laughed, “I didn’t have to help you, Rain. It wasn’t because I had to help you, I wanted to help you. That’s all that matters.”

  “River, I was a threat to your pack, you had to get me away from them.”

  He nodded, “True, but Raven and I could have just simply killed you. It would have been much easier.”

  I sighed, “That’s not the point, River.”

  “Listen, Rain, it’s not your fault. Don’t blame yourself for something you had no control over. This is in no way your fault.” River’s green eyes were kind and without blame. That only made me feel worse and he knew it as he sighed, “Look, you didn’t know. No one knew. I know if Raven knew I would get hurt he wouldn’t have approached you.”

  “It’s because you both did that you got hurt. Had you never bothered with me you would be fine.”

  River rolled his eyes, showing for the first time his irritation with me. I bit my lip as I watched him as he looked up at the dark sky, “Go to sleep and rest, Rain. You’re going to need your rest. We have a mile left to go after we get up in the morning.”

  I looked at River confused, “A mile?”

  He nodded as he looked back at me, “Yeah, a mile. The road to the next town is a mile away from here. It should only take about an hour or so before we get you out of here.”

  I shook my head, “If we’re that close I can easily find my way out. Maybe I should go now.”

  “No, Rain, you wouldn’t survive it alone.”

  “I’ll be fine. I’ve walked a mile in a half hour before.” I smiled at River even though I was trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to escape. I could do this. I could leave and they could be on their way back to the pack and never have to worry about me again.

  River shook his head, “You can’t survive out here alone in the woods at night. You would die.”

  “River, listen to me. It’s not that far from here, I’ll be fine. Besides, I really need to get food and warmth. The longer I’m out here the more likely I’ll die. You and Raven have done so much for me already, but you can’t keep me warm. I’m going to freeze to death.”

  It wasn’t far from the truth. My feet were cold and my body was shivering. Most of the day seemed fairly warm out, but now that night was coming I knew I was going to freeze.

  River bit his lip and looked at Raven, “Maybe we should wake him up.”

  I shook my head, “No. He’s tired, and he’s done enough. Both of you have. Please, River, let me go.”

  “You wouldn’t even know which way to go, Rain. You would get lost.”

  I shook my head again, “You can tell me which way to go, River. Either way, I’m leaving. I would just hope that you would tell me which way I have to go so I’m not wandering around lost.”

  He sighed and tilted his head back, “You aren’t going to let this go are you?”

  I smiled, “No.”

  He sighed again, “Fine. Do what you want. If you go south you’ll find the road. Once at the road go left and follow it to the nearby town.”

  I smiled and stood up before walking over to River, “Thanks, River.” I kissed his cheek before turning to leave.

  “Will I see you again?” River called after me.

  I turned around and smiled, “I’m not sure. I hope to see you both someday.”

  He nodded, “Are you going to stay in town?”

  I shook my head, “No, I have to leave. I’m still too close to home.”

  He sighed, “Oh.”

  “Hey, River, do me a favor?”

  He looked up at me, “Yeah?”

  “Tell Raven I never hated him. I love him. Just like I love you.”

  He looked at me confused, “You love us?”

  I nod, “Yeah, too bad it would never work out. We’re just too different. You’re wolves and I’m a human. You’re meant to live in the woods, I’m meant to live in a house.”

  “We could give you everything you could dream of, Rain.” His green eyes were full of sadness but understanding. He knew he couldn’t give me everything I wanted. They both needed to live here in the woods. I didn’t have to. I couldn’t.

  I smiled and nodded, “I know.”

  I could feel the tears in my eyes and I turned around quickly before I started walking away. I didn’t turn around and didn’t start crying until I had book a good distance between us. I needed to get out of here and I needed to get out now. I didn’t want to be here anymore. I didn’t want to remember who I just left behind.

  I kept walking for what felt like hours just thinking about the boys when I finally found the road. I smiled and took a left and went to the nearest town. I found out it was only six at night and everywhere was still open. I found someone that was willing to help me and they got me food and a room for the night. I decided to eat and go to bed early.

  That night, while I laid awake in bed alone, I thought back to the boys and wondered what they were doing.