Chapter Twenty

A/N: Rosalind's outfit for this chapter is above.

Growing Pains

Elena gasps for air and wakes up

Elena gasps for air and wakes up. Stefan was sitting on the end of her bed and Rosalind was standing at the end of her bed, watching her. Elena seemed confused about what was going on around her.

"Stefan?"

"Hey. I'm right here. You've been in and out for hours."

"Wh-what happened?"

"You were in an accident."

"Oh my God. Matt is he...?"

Damon interrupts "Alive? Ask Stefan. The hero."

"He's fine."

"Thank you. I thought that I – how did you...?"

"Save you? He didn't."

"When Jeremy brought you to the hospital before all this happened, your injuries were worse than anyone knew. Meredith Fell made a choice, she used Rosalind's blood to heal you."

"And when Rebekah ran Matt's truck off the road, you had vampire blood in your system, Elena."

Elena started to panic. "Oh my God. Does - does that mean that I – am I dead? No, no, no, no! That wasn't supposed to happen!"

"Maybe it doesn't have to. I talked to Bonnie, she says she's stronger than ever, there might be something that she can do to help you."

"No, the only thing that's going to help is for you to feed and complete the transition."

"We have all day before she has to feed, Rosalind. That's a day to exhaust every possible way out of this."

"There is no way out of it. We all know the drill. You feed or you die. There is no door number three."

"I was ready to die. I was supposed to die. I don't – I don't want to be – I can't be a vampire! If there's something that Bonnie can do we have to try."

"We will. We'll try everything."

Damon scoffs and rolls his eyes. "Your choice, Elena. As always."

Damon gets up and leaves. Stefan looks at Elena who is still in tears.

•••

In the kitchen, Damon grabs a bottle of alcohol from a cupboard and pours himself a drink. Stefan and Rosalind enters the kitchen.

"Way to get her hopes up for something that's never happened in the history of vampirism."

"You know what, you weren't there the day Elena looked me in the eye and told me she absolutely never wanted this."

Damon drinks the whole drink in a single gulp. "Then you shouldn't have let her die."

"I never meant for her to die. She asked me to help Matt first and I did."