Scrutiny of the Court

The manor's crowds were dense and diverse only in colors. Most everyone came from wealth, had earned a title, or sought to earn one as family tradition allowed. Elated voices of pretty ladies in dresses celebrating endowment and beauty echoed high in the main hall, while the show of proud men in armor and colors ruled the floor.

Hengist had resisted being left with the other horses in the stables, she even nipped at a stable boy until given an apple to distract her temper. My own armor, although splendid in my opinion, was in itself quite simple compared to the strangers surrounding me, at this time. I was tall, taller than many recruits, but lacking in brawn when placed beside a seasoned knight. Every man in the room possessed at least some facial hair and grit. Mother was not wrong to show concern for my feminine features. At the very least I had not wiped away from my face the sweat or earth of this morning's training exercises. Braid still in place tucked under my helmet and my figure hidden by a man's armor, I decided to fix my place in the room.

Many of the future-recruits were accompanied by influential family members introducing them to the high society ladies and lords with confidence that their sons and grandsons and nephews would bring honor to the family and have better luck being chosen with social skills paving the way. Ladies tittered in their spheres of intimidating beauty watching for fresh talent - fresh meat - of which they might exploit for marriages or social connections. I felt a bit like a weed in a garden. Nobody in particular showed interest in me, while I stood at attention against the stone wall and its silk tapestry. A few women glanced my way over slender shoulder under hooded lashes, but their disinterest was evident and I felt oddly shunned.

"Ladies and gentlemen," called out a young page after sounding a small horn. "I present the patron of this land, Lord Edgar Ealdwine, and his wife, Lady Delphia."

All eyes were on the lord and lady, all eyes drinking in the pomp of ritual and luxury of fortunate birth or what they were willing to die for and it was worth it. Lord Ealdwine was a good man from what Father had said, but I was more than slightly disturbed by the attention paid to presentation and not allegiances.

Lord Ealdwine was now giving praises to those men so recently knighted by the king and about to take on the volunteers of these young men, and a woman, who sought to serve the crown. There must have been at least six dozen soldiers waiting to be presented. To lessen suspicion, for I might as well have at least tried Mother's suggestions, I crossed an indistinct path towards the party of armored men and claimed a space. Names were announced as each steel body pledged their loyalty until I was the next in position to approach the lord's stance above the patient crowd.

"Your papers, young man," Lord Ealdwine whispered after I took too long to present them. Mother and I had worked to forge them properly for weeks. We had had some difficulty choosing a name, but after Father, we found something entirely appropriate to honor him.

"Wyot Stormfelt, my liege. Come to serve and protect with honor for our great king," I knelt on one knee, bowing my head, and presented my falsified papers.

"Hmph," the lord muttered. "I don't recall Sir Wyot Stormfelt's legacy including a male heir." He feigned curiosity, but Lord Ealdwine cared very little for scandals and never gave much time to his wife's attempts at courtly drama. A well-practiced lie goes far in the mind of this particular lord.

Still kneeling, I replied, "Wyot Stormfelt, although my namesake, is not my sire. Rather, he is my uncle, and I am one of Clement Stormfelt's offspring."

Most likely with several curt nods as was his passive way, Lord Ealdwine relented and unrolled my scroll with an air of approval. By the authority placed upon him by our king and the Lord our God, Lord Ealdwine found it in him to offer me a place in his majesty's cavalry, henceforth. I rose for his lordship, took the oath of loyalty and honor with firm eye-contact - there was no fear in my heart that he would be the one to discover me - and descended his platform in place of another recruit. The procession continued for awhile longer, and then began the party.