The Captain

"Stormfelt...Lady Stormfelt!" The young voice rang high over the male rumble and I spotted Tyr pushing through the breeched legs. He stumbled to my side grinning, grimy hands and face so familiar and welcome I nearly grinned as well.

"Hello, Tyr. I am glad you don't seem to mind the recent events. I missed you," I said soberly. Tyr's eyes seemed watery. He must have thought I would be gone forever, never to be seen again or to steal him fresh food for dinner.

"Lady—"

"Call me Rouen."

"Lady Rouen," he went on. I sighed. "Will you be able to stay on? What with your ladiness, now? How will a lady keep up in war?!"

I could not help but laugh, "Tyr, I was always a woman and always fighting harder than any other man. So long as the captain does not put up a fight, which I do not think he will be able to, I will stay and continue pursuing knighthood."

A sputtering, gasping snarl drew our attention back to the captain. His face was contorted with pain, which seemed to mean a smirk.

"You filthy bitch," he said, his voice calm and resolute. "You require your captain's approval and recommendation to achieve that honor of men! Whether you slay our enemies' armies single handedly and unscathed and conquer the next island for His Majesty unassisted, it will make no difference in my eyes."

I shrugged, jaw set, "I do not care for your bleeding eyes. You can barely see through them any longer as it is."

His anger flared and the flesh still exposed under the clotting blood flushed. Unfortunately, the captain was still incapable of smothering pride and clawed his way forward. He pulled each knee up until his feet lay flat and used his sword desperately as a crutch for his broken body. Not straight, but still standing, the captain poised himself as dignified and authoritarian as possible given the unfavorable circumstances. When he could finally raise his eyes to meet mine, I asked him a question.

"Captain, who is your successor in the event of your retirement or premature demise?" I asked curtly. He looked put out, afraid, but determined to maintain control.

He cleared his throat and replied, "My second-in-command, of course."

I gazed across the gathering of soldiers over the captain's head and called out, "And who is the second-in-command?"

A man I recognized but had never really heard speak raised a gauntleted hand, "Aye."

"What may I call you, sir?"

"You may call me Ewan Amberlance, Lady Stormfelt." Amberlance's tone set a precedent of mutual understanding.

"Then, tell me, please, Sir Amberlance...if I, a lady, could accomplish what our captain insists would make no difference to my qualification for knighthood, would you insist the same?"

Amberlance scowled and glanced into the suffering eyes of his captain. In one fell crest, he drew his blade still facing me. My brows furrowed.

"If our lady could accomplish such feats unknown to any man outside of ancient legends, I should think men inferior, her our captain, and all honors made available. The person who tries to stop her, is a criminal in the eyes of God and a servant to the devil, determined to limit His Majesty's progress as king."

The captain turned disgusted, bloody eyes on his underling and spat blood and a tooth onto Amberlance's polished boot.

"Your suggestions are traitorous and sacrilege, Amberlance!"

"My suggestions," he hissed, "are facts, Rhinesloft. I have never been confronted with much change, however, nothing usually changes. She is enough of a man; she is more so than at least half the men in this company! I recall the other night your esteemed compliments for the Stormfelt boy. Do you not? And she is a girl, now, but always performed with ferocity I have never known. If she leads our armies, our enemies may laugh, but the distraction could be in our favor and she would still be stronger than the rest. This woman is strategy."

Absolute terror, nausea, and betrayal swarmed Captain Rhinesloft's expression. His second-in-command, the man in his closest company and confidence believed and trusted a woman to serve and protect and find victory on the battlefield!

"Amberlance," Rhinesloft said, withdrawing his sword a palm's width. "I will not have her."

"Then, we will not have you."

Amberlance parried forward and walked his sword through the captain's throat.

"Speak less...and speak less ignorance...in the afterlife. It suits you better."

I had not spoken in a while with the proceedings gripping everyone present. With Amberlance's bold attack, changes were imminent. Rhinesloft's body pulsed floods of blood onto the grass as if sheer strength had kept his armor from crushing his innards all his life.

At my side, Tyr seemed terrified. He had always been wary in Amberlance's presence. I suppose I now knew why. The quiet man was a wolf in an old dog's guise. The fiercest blue eyes and features roughened by weather seemed to confirm it.

He admired his handiwork solemnly, made no excuse for the act, and turned his gaze on the crowd; the entire regiment encircled our bodies.

"I am your commander, Captain Amberlance," he said, his voice ringing out over the silence. "Does anyone possess a qualm against me?" Silence resonated in our brains. However, it was not strictly fear that kept them silent. Their expressions and body language cheered their agreement! I do not believe they ever hated Captain Rhinesloft, but they obviously admired or respected Amberlance's methods and decision-making far more. I had to admit I was impressed if not also envious of his control. Quite suddenly, he also turned on me.

"Stormfelt."

"Yes, Captain?" I asked. He scowled.

"You see, I don't particularly appreciate the title."

"Captain?"

"Yes, it doesn't suit me. I have always preferred being second. There is authority and control, but more respect. Less resentment and minimal bad news. Do you understand?"

I nodded, "I understand, but not where this is going."

"As the captain's second, I have the authority to legally initiate Rhinesloft's demotion of the captain. I know these men and I know they agreed, although silently, with this demotion."

He said the word with particular attention. I nodded curtly, understanding.

"He was demoted most fairly by your command...Sir. What would you have done next? May I be of loyal service to you and the regiment?"

Amberlance smirked, the closest signifier of humor in his soul and withdrew his sword from its sheath.

"Rouen Stormfelt, you are a woman in a man's guise. You have risen to the highest esteem in your commanders' opinions, been found out by two besprawlers unworthy of their ranks, and returned from what is a man's watery grave. Highly improbable that you will survive the king's decision upon our return, I still wish to see your limit until that day.

"So, Stormfelt," Amberlance said, presenting the handle of his sword in a gesture of contract. "I nominate you for the captain's role. All you must do is accept and lead us to victory."

Quite slowly the world almost froze when I gripped the handle in my ungloved hand. Amberlance held my gaze fierce and resolute. He trusted a woman to lead them into victory? Either he doubted their chances to begin with, or he actually did not care who led so long as he retained his excellent reputation. Nevertheless, I signed this contract with my life, gladly, for my father.