A Long Time Coming

"A woman?!" Lady Delphia screeched. Clearly her unsolicited and ill-received flirtations several years ago were still burning her brain. Now, I was a deeper humiliation in her memories.

"Yes, my lady. I, too, am a woman," I replied.

"This is the greatest crime against orthodoxy this court has witnessed since a witch was burned five decades prior!" Lord Ealdwine groaned. "Miss Stormfelt..."

"My Lord," I interrupted, to his great distress as if I should be so honored to listen to his meager voice. "It is Captain Stormfelt at this time. Furthermore, there is no reason it should not continue to remain as such."

"And why shall it remain as such, Stormfelt! You have disgraced these men, this kingdom, and our king!"

"No such crime has been committed, my liege!" Amberlance spoke up. Lord Ealdwine's color was fading fast and his lady gaped, abashed. "Our captain has only served us fiercely, with excellent skill surpassing most's, and with loyalty to the kingdom that would only enthrall a king. So, yes, with my authority, which in matters of military occupations is the highest authority just short of the king himself, she shall remain the captain.

"Furthermore, you may be considering calling upon the king immediately. However, I happen to know that he is occupied with his own concerns, matters of great importance to the state, matters of usurping leagues of land our defeat of this nation's enemies has allowed him. Do you wish to sully his great victory with word of a woman's aide? Her kind-hearted aide that saved us all during ambushes and skirmishes between the dead of night and immeasurable exhaustion she never permitted to control her? Her aide, which allows him this glorious day of triumph! You would butcher your king's joy and satisfaction for what has been proven evident these last three years to be a law of weak caliber considering the example standing before you.

"She made it past you once, she made it past all of us without incident," he said this with only a hint of hesitation, "and she brought nearly every man home unscathed. So, yes, that is why she shall remain and that is why you will accept this with dignity."

Amberlance concluded his declaration of authority with great dignity and a certain degree of calm blanketed the room. Ealdwine appeared convinced although his wife did not. She would hold her tongue, however, before risking confessing why she is so invested in my disgrace and downfall.

The lord nodded curtly and decided it would be so, I would remain the captain for as long as I could present myself in battle as a man so as not to shame our great kingdom. I would oblige such a fair request with pleasure.

After many hours of welcome, food and drink, dancing and celebration, I left the merry-makers to lead Hengist home to his pasture. Along the way I had to pass the blacksmith's forge. The clang of hammer on anvil rang through the stone-strewn street. I peered inside the forge to find Addy, grown and stronger than I had left him. His focus disregarded the sweat dripping from his nose and the lady knight at his door.

"Addy," I said. He looked up and dropped his tools as if I were a ghost.

"Rouen?" I nodded and he grinned stumbling out of his father's forge.

"How long has it been? Three years, yeah? You made it back, a lady in armor. How?"

I shrugged, "I am stronger than anyone cared to consider. You have grown, Addy. Have you advanced beyond your apprenticeship?"

His eyes dropped. "My father died last year. So, yes, I am the blacksmith, now. Would you like me to sharpen your sword?"

My hand on his shoulder in solidarity, "yes, Addy. That would be much appreciated. I will bring it tomorrow. I must go to my mother, though. You always have a confidante in me."

He nodded thanks and I thought I saw a tear grow on his lashes.

At home, Mother was a vision of grace and her pretty voice gave everything renewed purpose. I honored my father's memory, survived the improbable, and discovered the impossible.

"Mother," I said, slowly untying Tyr's belt from my neck. "I have a story to tell you."

"Oh, I do love stories, Rouen, dear. Tell me, what was the most exciting memory of your journey?"

"Well, it began when I stumbled upon water lilies only to fall in love with water ladies."