The Twin that wasn't

There was supposed to be two of us. I was supposed to be a twin but I absorbed him and ended up entering this world alone. Well sort of. Although I absorbed him physically, it felt like his psyche had survived. I could always here another voice in the background during highly intense emotional moments. For example when I was getting bullied in kindergarten by Jenny Billman, and while my parents taught me never to hit a girl, there was a voice in the background speaking loud and clear, "sock her in the mouth!" Which I did, and I got in the biggest trouble over giving her a swollen  and bloody lip. Or the time in 7th grade Mrs. Jankowski blamed me for talking during a test when it was actually Mark Bailey and I ended up with ISS and a failing test grade, here goes that voice in the background,  "what a bitch, you should make her pay for that. How about a little something extra in her coffee cup when she isn't looking? That'll teach her" and again I listened. Sent Mrs. Jankowski to the ER and got expelled AND sent to therapy.  And boy was that fun. Try explaining to anyone that you think your twin that should have been, but isn't, is giving you borderline criminal advice and you listen to them like a dumbass. No thanks, I never mentioned the voice of my evil twin to the therapist or anyone for that matter. I stopped listening to him and things got a little better. I locked him away in my mind and even though it made him angry, I didn't give a flying fuck. I wasnt't going to end up in jail behind this prick.

On my 17th birthday my parents bought me my first car.  Not one week later I was hit head on by a drunk driver and was sent into a coma.

I found myself in a space. Black, empty and eerily silent until....

"Well. Well. Well. Long time no speak. We finally meet brother"

I turned to see what looked like a reflection of myself.

"Why so surprised? Oh yeah, I guess you never thought we would meet face to face huh?"

I stood there not knowing what to feel. Shock? Happiness? Anger? As memories started surfacing, I decided to go with anger.  "So I finally meet the dickhead who nearly landed me in juvie"

He laughed.

"SERIOUSLY MAN! What was the reason you would tell me to do such terrible things?! I demanded.

"Because I was bored " he said with a shrug.
"Look around here bro, I'm stuck here every second of everyday and I'm fucking bored out of my mind! There's no morals in here, no values, no nothing, nothing but darkness and emptiness. While YOU get to live out there! Being able to do EVERYTHING!" He yelled furiously.

Now I understood. I had only been in this dark space for a few minutes and I already felt mad trying to figure out a way to escape. He spent every second of every day in this dark space alone for 17 years, And I was frightened to think of how long I had to be stuck in here......alone.....with him......