The Self Portrait

Beatrice Pardons was a struggling artist.  A painter to be exact. She was 23, had a Bachelor's degree in art and her skills were decent but not extraordinary.  She was commissioned to paint a few murals and substitute a few high school art classes but not much more than that. She'd never sold a single art piece and she took part time work waitressing and art gallery events. One night she was working an opening for a new gallery down in Buckhead. She looked at some of the art and said to herself "I dont see what the big deal is about some of these pieces,  I know I could do better if someone gave me a chance" she stood staring a portrait of a striking young man with Dark shoulder length curly hair, sad brown eyes and a sullen expression.  His gaze seem to be distant and direct at the same time
"Intrigued?"  A voice said from behind her, startling her. A  raven haired woman in a chic red pantsuit donning a deep V lapel that showed her breastbone on which a beautiful ruby pendant lay, held out her hand.
"Yes. I am actually" Beatrice took the woman's hand. " who is he?"
"Julian Marquez. The man responsible for this collection", she said motioning to a series of displayed paintings. 
"Must be nice to have your work recognized" Beatrice sighed.
Now it was the woman's turn to be intrigued.
"Might you be an artist as well?"
"Yes.  I am"
Her face lit up and she reached in her clutch and handed Beatrice a card. "Come see me at my studio, let's discuss your future shall we? I didn't catch your name dear"
"Beatrice."
"Lucinda, it's a pleasure"

A few days later Beatrice was in Lucindas studio discussing her possible future in an art career.
She provided Beatrice with 5 canvases and told her to paint 5 pieces of her best work in the next 3 weeks. Lucinda would have a private auction at her home and if all 5 pieces sold then Lucinda would discuss Beatrice's career further.

At Lucindas home the Beatrice's 5 pieces were 5 of about 20 pieces up for auction. while Lucindas colleagues were bidding on artwork, the artists were escorted to Lucindas private study, to wait. The room was huge and elegant and was filled with beautifully painted portraits of individuals  from what seem like all different era's. Dating back to the renaissance era. The one thing that they seemed to have in common was the sad distant eyes and sullen expressions.  It was eerie.

Lucinda entered the room about an hour later to announce the artist with the highest total combined bids was Beatrice.  She dismissed all the others. 
"Okay now time to discuss your career"
Beatrice could hardly hold back her excitement.
"I'm listening "
"I will provide you will have all expenses paid for all supplies I will provide you with your canvases. I want you to paint 20 pieces.  For an exclusive show. The last painting will be a mandatory self Portrait. And not just any old Portrait,  you must put your heart and soul into it."

The request seemed reasonable enough for Beatrice. She began her project the next day.
After 6 weeks she had all pieces done. She presented her Pieces to Lucinda at her studio.
" very lovely work Beatrice " Lucinda said while looking over Beatrice's work.  She was most interested in her self Portrait.  Beatrice painted herself with a  bright smile, with her piercing green eyes looking off in the distance with her wild red hair being blown by the wind. The Portrait was full of life and joy, unlike the portraits Lucinda kept in her private study. Lucinda place it on an easel and picked up a quill on the stool nearby.  She dipped it in ink and handed it to Beatrice. 
" All it needs is the artist's signature my dear "
Beatrice leaned over and signed the bottom of her self Portrait and Lucinda smiled.

Beatrice felt herself freeze in front of her Portrait.  Something didn't feel right. He painting went dark and she began to see swirls. Beatrice tried to scream but it was no use.  Out of the darkness of her Portrait reached out several pairs of hands accompanied by agonizing screams.  Beatrice tried to shield herself with her hands but it was no use, the hands took hold of her and dragged her into the painting. she was finally able to let out a scream as her feet disappeared into the portrait.

MATTHEW'S POV

As an aspiring painter I was advised by my roommate to come to this showing. The series of artwork displayed was absolutely stunning.  There was one painting I couldn't take my eyes off of. It was of a beautiful girl with fire red hair, looking into the distance with a pair of striking but sad green eyes and a sullen expression.