Jersey

The first few days after the jail incident I was really mad and snapped at everyone. I was a totally brat, and no one understood. My parents kept telling me to call Lily over, that she could bring back my smile. Little did they know she's the reason it disappeared in the first place. But a week after the incident and all my anger was gone. All that was left behind was a tsunami of sadness. I cried all the time. There wasn't a single time that you could find me with dry eyes. However, despite my current predicament, I payed my time in July and the nursing home and before you knew it I was packing to leave for a small town in the middle of Arizona.

I was in my room packing up all my possessions that I was permitted to take when James and Jordan, my little brothers walked in. The two were inseparable. They were born together and I had a feeling they would die together. "Hey Jersey!" Ever since I was little I always wore a basketball jersey, even when I went out on dates. The only place I am spotted without my B-ball Jersey is church. Kids made fun of me all the time for it, but I didn't care. Not even Mallory and Lily's pressure could get me to take off my jerseys. Heck, the day the police  arrested me I was wearing a Micheal Jordan jersey. So, because of my fashion choices I have earned the nickname Jersey. I honestly don't think my classmates and family know my real name. "Do you wanna play around the world before you have to go?" James looked at me with a smirk on his face.

What is going on here, they are only 15 and already they think they can take me! "So you guys wanna lose one last time?" Even though we always play the twins against me, I always win. No matter how many times they lose they always think they are going to win the next one. I admired them for that. "Ok, but we have to sneak out. Mom said I'm not aloud to leave my room till I'm done packing."

James and Jordan trade glances then crack the largest identical grins that automatically get me to grin back. Even though this past month has sucked, Jordan and James never fail to make me smile. The only person more successful then them was Lily. So in other words, no one beats them now. They turn on their heals and head for my window. Even though my bedroom is on the second story my balcony provides some sort of purchase to ease down.

So without a second thought I smoothly climb down. I was definitely the most coordinated and agile in the family, it probably helps that I'm only 5'4. James and Jordan on the other hand are monsters both 6'1 and only 15. The huge growth spurt did not help their coordination however and they had to work extra hard not to fall behind in basketball. So when they tried to shimmy down James landed on his butt and Jordan fell flat on his back.

I couldn't help myself, I burst out laughing. The ugly kind of laugh The was to loud and to long with ugly pig snorts in between. It felt good to laugh after the long weeks of crying. So without helping them up I turn and ran to the courts, to excited to contain it.

Needless to say, I trashed the two. Jordan tried to stop my crossover but just ended up twisting his ankle and had to sit out and hope James could redeem them on his own. James kept losing his temper and fouling me. Between the two they led me to victory.

"Better luck nextime!" I told the boys as I helped Jordan to his feet. Despite my good intentions, I remained to short to help and could only watch as James struggled to help his brother hop back to the door.

When we were about to open the door I stopped in my tracks. Jordan gave me an annoyed look and was about to shove me away when I punched his arm. He immediately stopped reaching for me and instead nursed his second wound. He cut me a glare as I explained "Mom is going to see ya walking through the front or back door and she'll wonder why I'm not in my room and why Jordan is hobbling like an old lady," cue another glare from Jordan. "I propose we sneak in through your guises bedroom window." They sleep on ground level so it was fool proof.

When we got in their room we took a minute to catch our breaths. I could hear footsteps leading to the twins room so I ran behind the door right before mom walked in. They exchanged a few words and then she was gone, I waited a few seconds before she was gone to sneak back into my room.

When I started packing again a single tear rolled down my cheek,  I was more sad then before. Why was I so stupid. Who needed to be popular? Was my stupid choice worth leaving James and Jordan?