Morning with Miss Marge

I woke up the next day and realized my alarm never went off. I jump out of bed and looked at the clock, ten minutes till school. I pull on my ripped jeans and signature jersey. I comb my hair and ran out the door ditching breakfast. It's a good thing my hair is naturally straight and looks fine when it's down. The thick golden locks fall down to my waist straight, as if I actually straightened it when in actuality I just brushed it. Not even a shower. Signature Janey style.

When I get to school I rush up the stairs to Biology. It's B day so I have a different schedule then yesterday, perfect, basically a second first day. I barely make it into the classroom when the announcements go off. I ran the whole way so I'm sweaty and gasping for air. Everyone is staring at me!

I walk over to the teachers desk trying to regain some dignity. When I look up at the class I see Melody, Chris, and Michael sitting in the back row. Melody looks at me bewildered, and Michael is shaking from laughter at my appearance. I flush making my pink face go red from embarrassment and not just exertion.

When announcements are over I turn to our teacher, an elderly severe looking woman. Her hair is tied up in the back with a tight painful looking bun. She gives me a frosty look as she looks me over "your late"

I'm taken aback by surprise, "actually I'm not, I came in right before the bell rang. I'm on time, even if barely."

That earns me another glare. "Detention for talking back Miss Oakson." I step back and gasp. She doesn't  even flinch. "My name is Miss Marge, and in my class you will have impeccable attendance or detention. I demand respect and if you disrespect me-"

I'm already pissed off from my alarm, "let me guess, detention?"

She doesn't even acknowledge my out burst, thankfully. I don't want to be on her bad side but I can't help it, this day did not start off good. "I've got my eye on you Oakson." She gives me another withering glare and adds, "here are your text books and you can sit in the back next to Michael." I open my mouth to object but close it knowing it's useless. I stomp back to my new seat next to... him.

"Hey Goldie try to walk to school today?"

I glare at him. "No, my alarm didn't go off."

He laughs mockingly, "classic"

I ignore him and face the front listening to whatever Miss Marge has to say that's so important. Today, however, is a lecture day and I can't stay focused. It doesn't help that Michael keeps saying my name and poking me in the arm. "What! What could you possibly want!!!" I almost forget to whisper, but calm myself last second.

He laughs even more. Melody turns over at us and gives her brother a glare. "Give the poor girl a break. She'll never stay around me if you annoy her to death."

Michael only laughs harder earning Miss Marge's attention. "Case!" I figured melody would look up, but she seemed used to Micheal getting in trouble and having teachers refer to him with their last name. "Detention! My room after last period, perhaps you can escort Miss Oakson."

My hand shoots straight up in the air but Miss Marge ignores it. After a few more seconds of this I say "Miss Marge"

She scowls but continues with the lesson. Its not until Melody raises her hand and when Miss Marge Calls on her and says "I think Janey has something to say."

Finally miss Marge turns to me, "what?!" She practically growls.

"Basketball tryouts are after classes today, I can't miss."

She sighs but relents, "fine you and Mr Case can serve your detention after classes next week. Now can I get back to teaching my class?" I pretend to think about it and watch her irritation rise then nod my approval. Michael, Chris and Melody are all shaking with laughter by then.

After class Melody walks with me to Spanish. Thankfully we ditched the boys right after class ended. However I was excited to hear that both Melody and I have Spanish together. "You know I don't know why you hate my brother so much, you guys are so similar." Shocked I turn to look at her feeling offended.

"I am nothing like that arrogant brat."

"My brother" she annunciates the word brother and I feel like it's a slap in the face. "May seem like a jerk, but we all wear a mask. We've all been hurt, but we all have different ways of coping with it." She eyes me at that last part. "Look I can tell someone has done something to you that left you struggling to trust anyone." My eyes widen in shock. How does she know? "But although betrayal hurts, thats not the worst that can happen. I don't know what happened but friends come and go. High school drama won't be important when schools all said and done."

I turn away and wonder what could have have happened that shook her up this badly. Her voice was so...broken, defeated.

"Look I'm sorry, I don't know what happened to you and your brother, but I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. If it makes you feel better I will make an effort with your brother to not hate him as much." A slow smile spreads across her lips. "Now common you have a friend to introduce to me."

The rest of the way to class we chatted away about Miss Marge and her strict rules. When we got to class I saw the same girl I saw with Melody yesterday. She was a skinny girl about average height in with mid back length coppery hair with warm chestnut eyes. She had cute freckles sprinkling across her nose and cheeks. She wore a navy blue sweater with a button up light jean shirt underneath that cuffed her sweater sleeves with a black pencil skirt that went a little past mid thigh. She was very attractive. It was ridiculous how Melody and all her friends looked like models.

"Hey Aiden!" Meldoy waves and turns to face me. "Do you remember Aiden from our encounter yesterday?"

"Sure, it's nice to meet you."

The girl beams with an award winning smile. When she talks she has a slight Irish accent, she somehow makes it work. "Pleasure," she seems very nice but shy and really quiet.

"Don't be fooled," melody cuts in, "while Aiden is well mannered. She has the mouth of a sailor on the court, and if you get to know her she's one heck of a ride." If, if I get to know her. If I let her in and make an effort. If I try, but I told the boys I would. So I smile and laugh somewhat hesitantly. However by the end of class everyone of my smiles are genuine.