R.I.P Beth

Despite Aunt Lizzy's assurances, Beth did in fact break down. To make matters worse my phone died during tryouts because I forgot to charge it this morning when I ran out of the house. That is how I found myself on the side of the road in my smelly gym shorts and tank top sitting in the baking hot sun hoping someone would decide to drive past. Its just my luck that Aunt Lizzy has to have such a big remote property on the other side of this small town. I could start walking, but I felt like I couldn't leave Beth. Nearly 10 minutes into my internal debate I get up to walk the last few miles home when a white sedan stopped and rolls down their windows. Looking at me through sun glasses was none other then Michael himself smirking at my predicament. I huffed in exasperation as he continued to sit their in silence and stare at me and my sweaty clothes. 

"Oh shut up," I muttered though he said nothing his silence spoke volumes of words. None of which were appreciated. 

Michael's smirk fell as he suddenly cried out in pain. Pushing Michael aside Melody leaned over from the drivers side. "Need a lift?" Michael spat out some of Melody's black hair as she sat back in her seat indicating I should hop in the back. 

Exclaiming my thanks I opened the door to find a grinning Leah and a glowering Hunter. Apparently Hunter was still not over me besting him in basketball. What I though was simply water under the bridge turned out to be a bit more flooded then expected. Trying to soften him up I smiled brightly in his direction which only seemed to make matters worse. Narrowing his eyes he scooted over so close to the door he nearly melted into it. Leah rolled her eyes and made room for me on the bench, scooting over to the middle seat so I can sit on the side by the door-as far away from Hunter as possible. Glancing up I saw Michael shake his head disgusted.

"Hunter get over it, we know you are embarrassed a midget like Goldie caused you another date with your common acquaintance the floor, but it really shouldn't be any different from when Leah does it to you at home."

Blushing further Hunter opened his mouth to protest when Melody cut in. "Oh Michael don't be thick, Hunter is upset that he let himself get distracted by such a pretty face and end up on the floor when all the coaches were watching." Now I was the one blushing, and the fact that Hunter didn't meet my eyes proved he was right. Ducking my head in I truly felt bad for the guy, my showing off could lead to him being cut from the team. Distraught I looked out the window and realized I didn't recognize a thing.

"Hey Melody where are you taking me? And can I use your phone to call someone to tow my truck?" At this everyone in the car burst out laughing. Running the sentence over in my head I couldn't find a single thing wrong with my statement. Leah smiled at me kindly and explained that in a town this small there was no tow truck. "Wait so my truck is stuck there forever?! Crap Aunt Lizzy is going to kill me." Apparently everyone found my terror hilarious because all my announcement was met with was another round of laughing. 

"Chill, my dad runs a car dealership in New York where we work occasionally in the summers. Our dad taught us everything we need to know about an engine or anything else about a car. She thought it would be important." Michael shot Hunter a warning glance at the end of his sentence which shut Hunter up.

"So why did we leave my car if you could fix it?"

"Well first of all I need to get my tools, and second of all Hunter, Leah and Melody need to pick up Harmony from her singing lessons. So they are going to drop off you and I so I can pick up the tools and get in my car to drive you to your truck." 

All of what Michael said kind of made sense, but, "Who is Harmony?" 

"Harmony is my twin sister," Hunter helpfully supplied. Everyone was casual about it, but I was kinda freaking out. How many siblings and pairs of twins does this family have? I thought my family was rare and special for having one set of twins. 

"How many people are in your family?" 

Melody laughed and answered, "Well Charles is the oldest, he attends college with his girlfriend Lexi. He will take over our dads Car business. Then there is Becca, she lives in North Carolina where she is studying to become a vet. Then Liam, he is a senior, you will probably see him around school. Micha and I are next. After us is Hunter and Harmony, and lastly Leah." 

"Holy Crap that's sibling over load. What did your parents do? Never leave there bedroom?!" Everyone in the car cringed at my statement, and I simply sat their imagining a life with another set of James and Jordan.

Michael changed the subject, "so what about you Goldie? Got anymore midgets in your family?"

I sighed, "Actually no, I am the oldest and the shortest. Or at least I will be the shortest. I have two twin 15 year old brothers, James and Jordan. Who are about 6'1", but I still beat them in basketball," I shoot Hunter a look before I continue. "Then there is Madelyn, she adores softball and is also taller then me, about 5'8" and only 13. After her is Luca, he is 10 and so cute. Last is... Callie..." I have to chock down tears to get her name out. "She is my little angel."  There was a moment of silence for me to collect myself as we pulled up the drive way of their little cottage. Their house was gorgeous. I was getting some serious snow white vibes, but on a larger scale. The only thing that seemed out of place from the fairy tale was the huge garage attached to the house.                                                                                                                     

Michael got out of the car and gestured for me to come inside as the others drove off to pick up Harmony. Feeling bashful I walked up the steps and through the front door as Michael yelled out, "Missy!" A responding small voice came from a door which Michel led me through to the kitchen. Getting something out of the oven stood a slim and slight lady. She had black hair accented with a tinge of artificial red that once must have been nicely curled but now was simply thrown back in a mass of frills at the back of her head. The woman was short, but still a little taller then me. She had sharp blue eyes and a warm nervous smile. She was beautiful in a distressed kind of way. 

Her smile turned strained when she asked, "Oh Micha which girl is this?" 

Before she could make anymore assumptions I interjected, "Oh no! Please don't associate me with him. He's only going to help me with my car, it broke down along the side of the road way back," I throw my chin back to indicate what I meant. Missy's eyes shown with delight as she turned around to grab more ingredients from the cupboards. I moved over to the counter to watch her work as Michael left and Liam walked in. 

Liam's eyes widened when he saw me. "Jani? What are you doing here?" 

"Well my car broke down and Melody and the gang came to pick me up. I guess Michael is going to fix it?" I shrugged still slightly confused when Michael walked in empty handed. 

"Hey Liam can you take Goldie to her car, Chris just phoned me. You know how it is..." Michael trailed off as Liam and Missy's gaze morphed into that of disapproving. It took me a minute to realize what activities Chris had planned.

"Of course, don't forget your condoms, we wouldn't want anymore of you running around then their already is." Liams tone dripped venom that had Michael  sharply turning on his heel and walking out the door. Turning back to me Liams eyes brightened if only fractionally, "Ready?"