TWENTY-THREE.

( part three, CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE )

To say that Tommy was upset to see Thalia board the train only moments after him was an understatement

She locked eyes with him from across the working class train car, where he stood to the far left with one hand gripping the overhead bar. When Thalia boarded, many of Tommy's men stood to offer their seats. For a moment, it seemed that the anger melted from Tommy's face as he caught sight of her smile in response to his men's politeness. Thalia was not used to being adored, but having John and Arthur who treated her like their little sister.

Tommy's gentleness faded as the train car doors slammed shut, and he was jostled back into reality. He stepped across the car with ease, his men parting like the Red Sea to allow his passage. He stood towering above Thalia, staring down at her with an air of severity that almost made her shiver.

"What are you doing here, Thalia?"

"I am riding a train, et toi?" She replies back, keeping her voice even. As the train began to rock and shudder, she knew that there was nothing he could do about her arrival now. He must have known, too, from the way his shoulders tensed, even if he still wanted to argue with her about it.

"This is not like Kimber," Tommy said. He grabbed the overhead bar to keep from stumbling as the train lurched forward. "Your brother could be there."

"Ouais," she said, holding his gaze, "he could be."

"It could come down to you versus him," Tommy said, but then his voice and his face softened. "Are you willing to make that choice?"

"We all make choices that define us, soldat," she spoke slowly, solemnly. "This is mine."

Tommy contemplated her words for several seconds before finally sighing. He settled into the seat next to hers and placed a hand on her knee. She relaxed into his touch, leaning her head over to rest on his shoulder.

"If it was John or Arthur," Tommy started, but Thalia cut him off.

"It is not."

She didn't mean for her words to be so curt, but she couldn't imagine any of the Shelby boys being compared to her traitorous brother. It was him, now, that was in bed with the enemy, and she could no longer bare to pay his price. The war had followed her all the way to Britain but that didn't matter. That ended today.

There was a moment of fear—run away—before Thalia came to grips with her new reality. She didn't need a Knight in shining armor anymore. She had Tommy.