NINETEEN.

( part three, CHAPTER NINETEEN )

It had been just over two weeks since Thalia had seen Tommy in person

It had been just over two weeks since Thalia had seen Tommy in person. Many times, he had come to their door, pounding on it with a passion in his heart and a poem on his lips, ready to sing Thalia praises of love, but Théo turned him away each time by waxing on about her supposed sickness. Each time Tommy came, he was turned away, even despite his numerous protests. It was only after Théo promised to let him know immediately should her sickness break that Tommy would begrudgingly leave.

In actuality, Theo just hadn't wanted Thalia to see Tommy face to face until he could be sure of her submission to the plan. He kept her locked in her room, showing only determination instead of guilt. Still, despite it, Thalia did not weep. She would be strong, strong for both Tommy and herself.

Besides, there was some truth to the lie. Thalia had been waking up sick nearly every morning, as if each day some higher being had decided to punish her for her inaction. She took it, though. Still, she did not weep.

After almost three weeks, Théo decided that Tommy needed a small taste of Thalia's charm once more to sate his desire to see her again and to ensure his continued interest in her. After all, she was expected to be the spy in Tommy's bed before too long.

This rare excursion outside the house had at first seemed to be a glorious opportunity, but soon cane with its downsides.

Firstly, it had gotten much colder in Birmingham than was bearable. Secondly, Théo made it clear that any attempts at warning Tommy would only bring pain.

"Remember," he told her, more than once on their walk to the Garrison, "if you say anything to tip him off, then I will shoot him."

"He would shoot you first." It was a bitter reply that she knew held no merit. If Tommy didn't know a fight was coming than he'd be no good at fending it off. It wasn't hard to see that.

"Then you would get to see who between us who is the better marksman," Théo returned evenly, his voice not betraying the disgruntlement on his face, "the soldier or the spy?"

She ignored his quip. He pushed open the doors and they were greeted with a sudden warmth. Thalia was thankful for the break from her misery, all at once filled with a melancholy happiness and heat.

"Thalia!" The voice caught her off guard, but she knew it without a seconds hesitation.

"Tommy!" She wanted to run to him, to embrace him with all of her being, but she refrained, holding herself in check. The warning from earlier echoed in her mind.