TWENTY-TWO.

( part three, CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO )

As the sun rose that morning, the Peaky fucking Blinders gathered in the gambling den with a chip on their shoulders and a fierce loyalty for each other that Thalia had only even seen on the front lines

As the sun rose that morning, the Peaky fucking Blinders gathered in the gambling den with a chip on their shoulders and a fierce loyalty for each other that Thalia had only even seen on the front lines. It was truly astounding how quickly these men had answered Tommy's call to arms. They were good men, men he trusted and, by extension, men Thalia trusted. It was a brotherhood.

And, since the Gentry family had crossed one of them, the Gentry's had crossed all of them.

"A bunch of scoundrels," fumed John, "the lot of them."

"Here's the plan, boys," Tommy said, placing a hand on John's shoulder to keep him contained for the moment. The men in the room, at least twenty that Thalia could count from where she stood just behind Tommy, some scattered about in the few chairs while the rest stood but all with one hundred percent of their focus on Tommy, seemed to sit straighter at the words. Thalia wondered how many of these men were war veterans, how many of these men had brought up arms with each other previously. They all certainly looked the part.

"Don't keep us waitin'," Arthur said, the humor in his voice a welcome addition to the heavy anticipation in the room.

"A former ally if ours has double crossed us with Gentry boys," Tommy started.

"The gutter rats down south?" A man in the back piped in, to which a few snickers arose. Tommy waited patiently for his men to have their fun. Thalia watched the tension in his shoulders hold steady, not thrown by the ruckus nor amused by it, like a proper leader. She marveled at him for a few seconds longer than she meant to and quickly snapped her eyes forward when she realized it.

The room died down, and Tommy spoke again.

"Now, we don't usually stand for rats, do we boys?" Tommy was playing into their humor, letting it drive their determination. It was a clever tactic, one Thalia had utilized, herself, and suddenly the room was alight with all the men captivated by Tommy's message. Some were more vocal than others, but each and every one of them was, without fail, ensnared by Tommy.

"How do we take them out?" Arthur asked loudly, uncrossing his legs and sitting up in his chair across the room from Tommy. A chorus of agreement ripples through the room, and Thalia watched with admiration as her Shelby quickly and succinctly navigated the room through the plan.

The swell of pride in her stomach was only quenched when her thoughts wandered once again to the words she and Tommy should have shared but did not. A hand rose subconsciously to her stomach, and she turned her face away from Tommy's, even as he turned to grin back at her like a small child waiting for validation. Even so, she was smiling, and he must have taken that as an invitation to continue.