Chapter 1

The armored figure sat silently atop his horse as it trotted, mulling to himself, I wonder if this village will be more enthusiastic than the last?

He stroked his horse's mane, and lightly tapped his horse with his boot. The horse nickered and increased its pace, galloping down the road towards the village.

The village of Vimml was not much to behold. The village hall was the largest building in the area, located along the main road leading into and out of the village. Small cottages were scattered across the countryside, and small numbers of people could be seen working their fields in the hot summer evening.

The armored man and his horse drew attention as they approached the village. Some of the villagers stopped their work and looked up, wondering if the lone man had come to raid their coffers. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the village consisted of simple folk with little to spare in terms of coins and material goods.

As the horse came to a stop outside the village hall, a small group of villagers gathered. Many were holding their pitchforks or other farming tools, and a small number had sheathed swords by their side. Poor or not, the villagers were not intending to be raided without a fight.

The man pulled off his helmet and announced, "Fear not, fair citizens of Vimml. I am Sir Rohea of the King's Honor Guard, and I am here in peace."

Several gasps were made by the villagers, and many stood in shock and awe. What was a knight, especially one from the Honor Guard, doing in their small village? After a few seconds of silence, a burly villager stepped forward.

He challenged, "What proof do you have that you are indeed Sir Rohea? I for one don't believe that one as esteemed as Sir Rohea would travel alone to our village, especially without his royal colors."

The other villagers looked at Rohea and his horse, and hushed whispers began spreading about the small group. Some tightened their grips on their weapons and tools.

Rohea gave a small laugh, and reached for the small pack hanging beside the saddle. He opened it to reveal the characteristic gold and purple cloths associated with the King's Honor Guard.

Rohea stepped off his horse and said, "Displaying my colors would scare away all the would-be ruffians who terrorize the roads." Upon seeing the royal cloths, the burly man quickly bowed and apologized to Rohea. Rohea waved his hand and replied, "There is no need to apologize. Your caution is well-deserved, as are the rest of you." Looking across the group, he continued, "I am here to train your local militia in case the war–"

The villagers looked visibly shaken at the suggestion of war, and more than a few re-tightened their grips on their weapons. The burly man looked like he was about to say something when Rohea placed his hand on the man's shoulder in a friendly gesture.

"The war is still far from your village, but local thugs may take the opportunity and raid your stores, and it'll be best to be prepared. From the bravery you've shown me when I arrived, I believe that your village will be safe from anyone who seeks you harm."

"We are simple folk, but we will put up a fight if we have to."

Rohea smiled and agreed, "Of that I have no doubt. I'll be holding basic combat training tomorrow at dawn, and then a sparring tournament at the end of the day. For now, is there a tavern where I can get a drink?"

The burly man replied, "I am Tolil, the local blacksmith. We don't get many visitors at our village, so we don't have a tavern. However, my wife Lisg makes the best ale in this area, and I would be honored if you would have a drink with us at our humble home."

"I would be happy to," Rohea said. "Please, lead the way."

*****

Rohea gave a polite smile as he drank Lisg's ale.