Chapter 4

Rohea and Maes swiftly rode away from Wolle. Although Rohea was officially banished, the word had not spread past Wolle, and the people they passed along the roads did not recognize his face as they traveled further from Wolle. As a precaution, Maes headed into towns and villages to procure supplies, while Rohea remained a safe distance away. This would make it harder to anyone to track their paths.

Through her conversations with the townsfolk when she procured supplies, it seemed that no one outside Wolle was aware of the change of events. Rohea was unsure whether the mages' influence had expanded to the towns, or that the Mage guild was content with controlling Wolle. The town guards certainly did not sport the wrist bands that those in Wolle had.

After a week of sleeping on the hard ground, Rohea decided that it would be safe to enter a town. He felt that he would be unrecognizable without his armor, and the town guards would likely be loyal to the king and not the mages. Thus, he entered the town of Riloo with Maes.

As expected, Rohea and Maes walked past the town gates without a hitch. Riloo was a small town, compared with Wolle, but it had the hustle and bustle of a larger one. They entered close to dusk, and the sun was low on the horizon, casting long shadows along the cobblestone roads. The flags of Wollior flew high in the guard towers, but there were few guards patrolling the streets and walls. Most young capable men and women had been drafted for the war, and its effects were visible in the streets. While people were constantly walking around, the adults were in their late thirties or forties, and there were few children running about the streets.

Rohea and Maes found the local tavern without much trouble, and approached the innkeeper for a room. The innkeeper looked at the two of them and winked at Rohea, before directing them upstairs to their room. When they entered the room, they saw that there was a single large bed in the room, instead of two separate beds that they had expected.

Rohea sighed, and said, "I'll speak to the innkeeper and get a different room."

"It's best not to direct unwanted attention," Maes replied. "Besides, I'm sure you will be honorable at night."

"It is not good for your image as a lady," Rohea said.

"My image?" Maes laughed. "I was a simple peasant with no reputation outside of my village. Now, I'm traveling with an outcast knight. I'm sure my image can take it."

"You don't have to travel with me, you know," Rohea replied. "While I appreciate your loyalty, your life is at risk, and your reputation too."

"All my life I've wanted some purpose," Maes said. "I've found it now, and I'm not giving it up!"

Rohea nodded and clapped her on the shoulder. "I'm glad to hear that, Maes. Come, let's get dinner and retire for the night. I've missed the feel of a soft bed."

The food at the inn was nothing spectacular, but Rohea gobbled it down, anyway. It was the tastiest he had had since Toggir. He chucked to himself as he drank the local ale, recalling the vile brew he had guzzled in Vimml. Rohea and Maes chatted happily in the tavern, and their troubled situation was almost forgotten for once. In the daze of alcohol, they failed to notice a man watching them from the corner of the inn.

The next morning, Rohea and Maes set off from Riloo in high spirits. However, not long after they had ridden off, they were waylaid by a group of men wearing black cloths. Rohea slid off Feisty with practiced ease and drew his sword. Maes, to her credit, was not far behind and was soon standing with her back pressed against Rohea's.

A man with a scarred face stepped forward and addressed them. "Sir Rohea, surrender now and we will let the woman live."

Rohea was surprised that he had been recognized, and his face showed a flicker of emotion.