Chapter 3

Rohea and Maes rode away from Wolle for an hour and made their way into a thick forest. They had to dismount from their horses and walk slowly, but they were soon out of sight.

"If anyone checks our tracks, they will know we are in here," Rohea said. "However, I don't think those soldiers will follow. Besides, we'll be deep in the forest before anyone realizes it."

"What shall we do," Maes asked, "and what is a dark practitioner?"

"A dark practitioner is a mage that uses dark magic, or at least that's what we've heard from the Mage guild. They've always gone on and on about the dangers of dark practitioners and why mages are needed to protect the king, but I believe it's merely a ruse to keep them in power," Rohea said in disgust. "They must have come up with this ploy to remove me from court, and wrest control of the kingdom."

"But why you, and won't the king prevent them from doing so?"

"Among the knights of the Honor Guard, I have the most influence in court. Most of the others are content to stay in the background and protect the king, while I actively interact with the nobles and try to discover their little plots. The king trusts my counsel, and I have provided much valuable information over the years. With me removed from court, the mages will be able to gain influence and affect the king's decisions. While he is wary of their motives, there is only so much he can do without angering the Mage guild."

"Why would he be afraid of the Mage guild?"

"Every guild has some power and influence. The king has to maintain balance among them, or civil war could break out. The Mage guild in particular has lots of power, due to their strong magics. King Wespil will have to concede to their wishes if no one keeps them in line."

"If the king trusts your counsel, why did he banish you? The parchment had the royal seal on it." Maes said.

Rohea shook his head sadly. "I do not know. The mages must have forced his hand somehow, or weaved a story about me being a dark practitioner." Rohea laughed bitterly. "As if I knew anything about magic. The only thing I like about mages is how easy it would be to stick a blade through them."

"Didn't you say that they are powerful?"

"In war, yes," Rohea replied. "However, there aren't many of them, and most have never seen an actual day of battle. They would be ill-prepared for a face-to-face battle. They fight like cowards – from a distance, or through plots like this one!"

"So what should we do now?"

"There is a small cottage hidden in this forest where knights meet in secret. I believe some of my friends in the Honor Guard will make their way here now that my presence has been noted in Wolle. We will speak to them, and learn of what has transpired."

Rohea seemed to know the layout of the forest well, as he led Maes through a series of narrow paths and small clearings. After an hour of walking through the thick forest, they arrived at a large clearing. The sun shone brightly, and a cottage will clearly visible in the middle of the clearing.

"We are here. Come, let's go inside and wait."

The cottage was well-furnished, with a large table in the main room, surrounded by many sturdy wooden chairs. There was no food in the cottage, since no one actually lived in it, but a nearby stream was available for fresh water and fish if needed.

Nightfall came, but no one else arrived at the cottage. Rohea was patient and waited, while Maes took the opportunity to sleep in one of the rooms that had a bed in it. Maes awoke at daybreak and walked into the main room. Rohea was still seated there, as if he had not moved the entire night.